Author Topic: EMG today  (Read 5405 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
EMG today
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:31:18 pm »
OK... so i got an EMG this morning and it turned out bad.  No movement and its been over 6 months. Fortuneatly, I didn't feel the needles in my face but i felt the electro shock they did in both sides of my face first... i felt the shock even in the bad side which is strange because i didn't feel the needles at all.  I don't have much hope for my face moving and i know i should.

Write back i need it!!... i'm so depressed :(
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Pembo

Re: EMG today
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:53:21 pm »
I'm so sorry to read of your negative EMG. Did they docs say if you could still get movement at a later date?  I know my facial therapist said that sensation can take up to 5 years or more to return....keep the hope alive. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:17:47 pm »
Taylor

The EMG you had done showed where you're at today.  It did not show where you may be 2 months from now, or 6 months or any other time in the furture.  Don't give up. BELIEVE. and use this time to research various options so if expectations aren't met, then you'll have an idea as to which direction you may want to take.

I know how hard this is and the feelings that you're feeling.  But don't give up. Newer and better technology and treatments are being developed. 

Taylor, know that we are with all standing with you and are surrounding you with our love and positive thoughts!!!  Hang in there!!!!!

Hugs and love
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

matti

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
Taylor -  What exactly did the doctor say? Raydean is right, today's test shows your current status, it is not a predictor of where you will be in the future.

I know how discouraged you are feeling, but please keep in mind that facial nerve recovery is a slow process and happens in very small steps. I first noticed what felt like a tickle on my cheek and a few months later, out of now where, I could slightly raise the corner of my mouth and slowly but surely I regained 80% of normal.

As always, keeping you in my prayers!

hugs,
Cheryl 
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:45:58 pm »
Hi Taylor,

What I am hearing is that when the needles were inserted you didn't feel much, maybe nothing.... BUT when the EMG electricty was turned on you did....? I am not surprised, only because I once had an Emg  on my hands which made my fingers curl badly.... my experience has nothing to do with a facial emg I am sure.... however, I personally would want to know the "current" (jolts) given to your face... and were they jacked up for some reason and how far?

I suppose it's kind of good news that you felt something (even though it sounds painful)

Sending you good wishes and  lots more better days.

Windsong

OK... so i got an EMG this morning and it turned out bad.  No movement and its been over 6 months. Fortuneatly, I didn't feel the needles in my face but i felt the electro shock they did in both sides of my face first... i felt the shock even in the bad side which is strange because i didn't feel the needles at all.  I don't have much hope for my face moving and i know i should.

Write back i need it!!... i'm so depressed :(

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:53:01 pm »
I thought that i'd be a lot more sad.. but i think i was expecting it.  The doc said there is still a chance it could come back.  But 6 months+ is a long time for no movement at all.
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:32 pm »
You'll get there  ;D im sure of it
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 07:26:36 am »
taylor you're a suvivor for even having that emg done.  Those things are NO FUN!  I had one on my arm and neck I can't imagine having it done to my face.  For what it's worth, I've been told it could take up to 18 mos or longer for the nerves to regenerate so as hard as it is...DON'T LOSE HOPE!  I know for me I hit spells when I really think this is permanent and then I get a little buzz or twing and think ok maybe not.  Don't give up!  One of the reasons I decided to have retro (besides it was my only choice) was if I was able to keep my hearing nerves then in the future maybe someone would develop some new technology to help me hear again.  BIG HUGS! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 07:36:31 am »
Taylor,

Just like I dislike hearing it... "time heals all wounds"... for many of us here, it truly is a waiting game.  When I meet with my dr's (even as of last week), I tried to go in to my MRI and appt with no major expectations, as I've learned, "expectations can set us up for letdowns".... so, I came out of my appt still a bit "eh" but you know what?  The folks here are keeping my spirits up during this gawd-awful waiting game.. and Taylor (and your mom!), we are here to help with the waiting game.  Seems that a pregnant woman waiting out 9 mos has it easier than us... as for this waiting game, we have to try to remember (to the best of our abilities, strengths, and through support) that we need to dig deep in the pit of our souls to remind ourselves that we have the mental strength to endure.

...and Taylor, you certainly have endured! You have done sooooo beautifully over the months we've been tracking your journey.  You have demonstrated resolve, courage and yes... inner strength.  Hang in there Taylor! We truly are here and cheering you on much more than you know! :)

xo to you and your mom!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 09:33:10 am »
Taylor, hang in there!!!!  I know it's hard to be young looking forward on this, but there's still hope and still time.  You had a large tumor and I'm sure the facial nerve is very traumatized...it takes a while to recover!!!!  But as long as it's in one piece, that they didn't sever it, there's still a chance...don't give up!!!!  Raydean is right, the EMG is what it was today, it can't predict the future.  I, with the rest of the good folk here, am pulling for you!  I'm still waiting for my face to start working (I'm just 2 months out) and I sure do know how you feel about that.  Celebrate that you got this out of your head and you're alive, don't ever forget that miracle!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 11:57:28 am »
Taylor,

If your facial nerve was not severed during surgery, then it has only been traumatized or "insulted" from being stretched and moved.
Because of this you most likely will eventually regain control; it's just that it may take well over a year for it to happen. Don't give up hope! Nerves take a loooooong time to stabilize.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.