Author Topic: Getting My AN Ear cleaned  (Read 4613 times)

LisaM

Getting My AN Ear cleaned
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »
Has anyone out there in AN land had their AN ear cleaned? 

A doc looked in my ears yesterday and said that the AN ear had more wax build up in it than the other ear.  He said I could make an appointment to have it cleaned or do it myself at home.  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to keep the ear clean to avoid extra pressure to protect against further nerve damage.

Comments?  Experiences?

Thanks,
Lisa M
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

Derek

Re: Getting My AN Ear cleaned
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:34:45 pm »
Hi Lisa...

My ears are particularly prone to accumulating cerumen (wax) which is a fairly common problem and I have had them medically syringed on three occasions since my AN was diagnosed over 10 years ago. My neuro consultant advised that it is a perfectly safe procedure for those diagnosed with the AN condition.

It is also advised that medically approved ear-drops (I use sodium bicarbonate or olive oil based) from your local chemist / pharmacist be applied to the ears via 3 or 4 drops twice daily for two weeks prior to the syringing procedure to soften the cerumen and I strongly advise that the syringing only be undertaken by your doctor or practice nurse who will examine the ear canal to ensure that it is safe to carry out the procedure. Often, the insertion of the drops over the two weeks period is sufficient to loosen and disperse the wax without the need for syringing and only the doctor / nurse can confirm if this is the case.

Once dispersed the future accumulation of cerumen can be prevented if the ear-drops are used once each week.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

LisaM

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:30:50 pm »
Thanks for your input Derek. " Medically syringed" who administered the syringe?  Was it a nurse at a regular doctor's office or was it done by an ENT?  I'm about to have my next MRI, 11/27.  A bit on pins and needles but hoping for positive news!
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »
LisaM

Let me throw in my two cents.  I have a problem with wax also, my doctor told me to use over the counter drops for wax removal.  After you put the drops in you use a bulb to flush with warm water.  Takes care of the problem and you don't have to pay a doctor.

TJ

Derek

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:48 am »
Thanks for your input Derek. " Medically syringed" who administered the syringe?  Was it a nurse at a regular doctor's office or was it done by an ENT?  I'm about to have my next MRI, 11/27.  A bit on pins and needles but hoping for positive news!

Lisa...

The procedure is carried out by the nurse at my regular doctor's surgery. I had previously got the 'OK' from my neuro consultant. Here in the UK such treatment is free on the good old National Health Service. If necessary I would willingly pay for professional syringing rather than taking any risks with DIY procedures as there is always a risk of perforating the ear drum. As previously stated, often the self administering of the over the counter drops is sufficient to loosen and disperse the wax thereby negating any need for syringing and this can only be confirmed by the nurse examining the ear canal using the correct equipment.

Best of luck with your forthcoming MRI.

Regards

Derek 
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.