Author Topic: Hoping for some answers to the cause of AN  (Read 6268 times)

Boppie

Hoping for some answers to the cause of AN
« on: August 22, 2006, 07:01:38 pm »
In light of recent discussions about why we post on this forum...I'd like to learn about and explore research on the cause of the AN.  What is new?  Is research being done?  Do we wait until our own children have ANs to discover what went wrong?  What is your idea about the AN down the road...10 to 15 years from now?  How can  our stories help in the findings for a cure or prevention?  We have this wonderful venu to help one another through treatment and recovery times, but how can we do more?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:02:35 am by Boppie »

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Hoping for some answers to the cause of AN
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 07:22:32 pm »
Here's something I've been wanting to know....now that you've asked....does race enter into all of this?  Everyone that I've talked to so far I believe is caucasian.  I know that it affects more females than males, but what about other races?  And if not, why?  Will that give us a clue as to why it affects who it does?  I've read many theories, but no real "this is why".  I'm curious. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:07:09 pm »
I was explaining that one to my son the other day Mom and he was going to talk to his science research teacher to see if there was a research project to pursue.  Sure would be interesting eh?

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:44:28 pm »
My doctors said they didn't really know why this happened.  I suppose it is true with many diseases. Why did Annette Funicello have to get MS (I think that's what she has..)?  Something just decides to go haywire and with us it was the Schwann cells. But, then I am curious too if there is something more than that.  I did a google search and found this on a UK site:

Most brain tumours are named after the type of cells from which they develop. An acoustic neuroma is a benign tumour that develops in the vestibular nerve, which lies very close to the auditory nerve. The vestibular nerve is responsible for balance, and the auditory nerve is responsible for hearing. The acoustic neuroma starts from schwann cells which cover the nerve and is sometimes therefore called a schwannoma. It is usually a slow-growing tumour and does not spread from its original site within the brain.

Acoustic neuromas account for about 8 in 100 of all primary brain tumours. They are most likely to be found in middle‑aged adults. For unknown reasons they are more common in women than men. Acoustic neuroma may be found in people with the disease neurofibromatosis.
Causes of acoustic neuromas
Apart from the link with neurofibromatosis the cause is unknown. Research is being carried out into possible causes.

Acoustic neuroma is a slow‑growing benign tumour and symptoms often develop gradually over several years. The most common symptom is loss of hearing in the affected ear. This may be accompanied by a buzzing or ringing noise in the ear (tinnitus) and a feeling of fullness and sometimes pain in the ear. Dizziness and poor balance are also fairly common.

People who develop acoustic neuroma as part of the disease neurofibromatosis may have bilateral tumours (affecting both sides of the brain).

If the tumour is pressing on the nearby nerve that controls feeling and sensation of the face, it can cause numbness of half of the face. Rarely, the facial muscles can become weak on one side. There may be general signs of a brain tumour, such as headaches (particularly on waking), tiredness and lack of energy (lethargy), and changes in personality.

Larger tumours may lead to headaches, sight changes and problems with walking. People may walk awkwardly or stumble and have problems keeping their balance. Sometimes, speech may also be affected.

There is more information regarding diagnosis and treatment on this website:
http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Brain/Typesofbraintumour/Acousticneuroma

There, was that serious enough?? ;D

Vancouver Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:27:05 pm »
Boppie,

Sometimes you got to go with gut feeling. Science hasn't been conclusive enough about the origins of AN's and I remember when mine returned some mths ago, I knew something was wrong in my head (my wife is always telling me that ::)).

There have been studies done and then re-done and the answers are a mixture of what Sue identified and other influences. personally, I believe that I have a weakness in the head somewhere and combined with the excessive use of my old analog mobile phone, my AN grew.

On the phones, a study done a few years ago dismissed these phones as a threat. Recently, a study on analog and digital phones revealede that there is heightened risk with the use of analog phones. These aren't around anymore but digital hasn't been around a long time either.

I think the answer will be known in the next 5-10 years.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:30:15 pm »
I've never had excessive use of cell phones...at least not in the time period that my AN would have started up sometime around 1986-1991, if the drs. timetable is correct. He said it'd probably been growing for 15-20 years. I'm going to take "fluke of nature" and live with that I guess, and be darn glad nature didn't decide to give me something else. 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:04:06 am »
Thanks, Sue, for your reply.  I have no problem with humor.  I believe I said some time ago that some of my favorite idiot files are Monte Python.  ;D

I did some reading on analog.  It seems we have that in our office and house phones (hardwires)  Is this true?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:07:33 am by Boppie »

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 12:08:41 am »
Ooops...I guess I misunderstood.  I thought he was talking about cell phones. 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tony

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 05:05:37 am »
Yes its the older type analog cellphone that may/or may not be linked
- the jury is still out on that one.
To be honest - for the sake of western civilisation I hope not...
Best regards
Tony

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 05:31:53 am »
Wow, I was busy yesterday so I got a little behind on my reading.  I was talking to my therapist about this very topic yesterday.  I thought maybe the AN was caused by head trauma.  I was in a head on collision in 1995 and the MRI showed a shearing of the brain in the same place that my AN was found ten yesrs later.  Has anyone else had a head trauma?  I guess I need to rearrange my schedule so that I can keep up.  I would really like to know where they come from and why me?  Okay, why not me?  I was doing so well before this happened.  Unlike others with this problem, the only symptom I had was no balance.  I heard perfectly, only "normal" headaches and life was good.
I really thought in the begininng it might be environmental.  Most people I found were from or had lived in the Far North or on the East coast.  Now I am finding more and more other places so that shoots that therory.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Obita

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 05:48:37 am »
I wish that surgeons or radiologists would hand out surveys to ANers.........I am sure someone has in the past for a research project.  In my case it is not cell phone use.  My brother's theory for my sisters ovarian cancer, his testicular cancer and now maybe my AN (this is reaching) is that we grew up very close to MSP International Airport.  Airliners would dump fuel before landing if there were trouble on board..........our neighborhood would be covered with the stuff and it usually would take days for it to dissipate.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:00:21 am »
I can't link mine to cell phone use, but during my initial exam with my surgeons I was asked what type of phone I used and which side I used it. I was also asked about head trauma and had to list when and what area of my head it occured. Another interesting quesiton was if I was a Q-tip abuser.

As far as environmental, I don't know about AN's, but 18 years ago my brother and his family moved to a new housing development that was built on an old military dump site. Disclosed at purchase, but were told that after excavation and clean-up, extensive soils tests showed no problems.  Both my nieces at the age of 5 developed type 1 diabetes (no family history). Over a 2-3 year period there was a huge increase in Juvenile Diabetes and child hood cancers within a 3 to 4 mile radius.  Soils test proved toxic levels. The developer bought back several of the homes.

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 03:41:23 pm »
I never used a cell phone (my wife and adult son have them - I use theirs if I need one, which I never seem to do) and my AN was on the left side, usually not the ear I used for the phone. So, I just don't buy into the phone; cell, home, analog, ditigal or whatever as the culprit for developing an AN. 

I think the actual cause of AN's may not be known for a very long time, if ever.  I don't care much, now that mine has been surgically removed, because I don't think they are something preventable, no matter what you do.  I'm just happy they are benign and operable.

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

amymeri

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 04:00:51 pm »
Apart from those who have NF2, I have only heard that frequent, loud sounds (like rock musicians) could be a culprit.  Having said that...haven't heard of any rock stars with ANs! ::)

I was not a cell phone user, but I learned that a man I grew up with had a similar tumor and it makes me wonder...seems awfully coincidental that there are 2 of us that grew up in 1 city block! 

There is NO family history of any kind of cancer, tumor benign or malignant or anything-my family, in the generations before mine, is freakishly healthy-- and yet I have an elevated ANA (connective tissue disease), thyroid issues, 2 miscarriages and now a tumor.  My twin had 1 miscarriage and 3 premature babies and some other stuff..coincidence?  Bad Luck?

Is our environment causing all this...?  Because we are non-smoking, healthy eating, normal weight, active, college-educated women...the ones who "typically" live long healthy lives...hmmmmmmm.  So much for science.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Survival Nate

• TravAddic
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 04:18:18 pm »
WARNING BAD SPELLING

well I have always been around RFs and the like all my life, but just about a year before my AN was found I started using the cell phone at a regular bases and I started working at a company that used cordless long range phones which I used 80% of the day. This could have somthing to do with mine, but ill never know I always talked on my right ear (my AN side). there has been many times in my life were it may have or may not have played a part, I have been exsposed to radiation, microwave transmissions, and even toxic waste :-X when I was in the army and other endevors.
If only got the AN I feel lucky LOL

WARNING BAD SPELLING

Nate
at age 21yo
AN 5.05cm removed Feb 2005
Gamma Knifed July 2005
at age 31yo
AN regrowth @ 1.5cm - 2014
Pituitary Gland tumor 2mm
https://www.travaddic.com/