Author Topic: ENT and Audiologist Vist  (Read 3188 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
ENT and Audiologist Vist
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:27:14 am »
Monday I went to see the audiologist to get information on hearing aids.  She recommended the Croslink Hearing Aid for me.  Of course it is $2900! :o  So we talked awhile and that was it.  But she did tell me that she just had an 85 year old woman, who IGNORED her symptoms for 7 years, who is now at OHSU having surgery because the big AN she now has is life threatening.  85 years old and having surgery.  Wow. 

Then I had the appointment with my new ENT because the other ENT who didn't diagnose me correctly last year is no longer there. Anyway, my new Dr. was quite interested in my MRI that he could pull up on his laptop.  He kept looking at that.  I think he thought I should have had a appointment with an Otologist...is that right?  He told me...well neurosurgeons usually don't like to do AN surgeries, but otologists LOVE doing them. He told me there were some good ones in Seattle and OHSU, but since I've already had GK then there wasn't much he could say about that except what my neursurgeon already is doing.  MRI in Feb or so and make sure it doesn't keep growing, which he said after GK they usually don't.  I said, Good. So, that was the end of that.  Everything else seemed okay.  So unless I have something else going on...guess I don't have to see an ENT anymore.  Cross one doctor off the list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.  (Or Thursday or whatever day it is in other lands!)

vANcouver Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

Re: ENT and Audiologist Vist
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:26:54 am »
Hey Sue I think my original ENT is related to yours! 
I wish I could say no more doctors  LOL  All I can say is OH NO NO more insurance! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:54:14 am »
Hey Sue

Long time, no speak! Sounds like you are doing well.

Being in nearly the same shoes as you (you know, having our heads zapped and whacked), for me... I'll continue my appts with my ENT to make sure hearing preservation is where it needs to be or monitor for other issues.  Hoping you and Battywench are doing well...

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:06:06 pm »
I found that the audiologist wanted the Croslink and the ENT surgeon wanted the BAHA...perhaps because each only deals with the one modality...aide or surgical implant! :P

Anyways, I never heard that NS don't like ANs!  My chief surgeon was a neurosugeon and he worked closely with my ENT surgeon.  I see both in F/U but the NS is the one who will follow me and my brain for years while the ENT deals with my facial paralysis and hearing issues.  In fact, I heard that NS do ANs bigger than 2 cm while ENTs do the "smaller" ones, but either option is okay because its the experience of the surgeon that really counts!!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »
Sue,

Yes, ENTs' on the surgical end are referred to as "neurotologists" because they specialize in not only the nerves involving the ear, but the cranial nerves in general at the base of the skull, involving taste, swallowing, facial movement, balance, sensation, etc......

Here is my doctor's page at Mass Eye & Ear Infirmiry in Boston : http://www.meei.harvard.edu/shared/staff/otodocs/mmckenna.htm

Notice that, although he is an "ENT", he is, more specifically, a "Neurotologist".

And he, is, by the way, an EXCELLENT surgeon!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:33:42 pm »
Thanks to everyone, I am learning something new everyday. Now, REMEMBERING it is the trick!!  :D   I should have asked him if I need to see him again...he didn't indicate that I need to go back for any further examinations.  Maybe something I should ask them about, Hmmm??

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode