Author Topic: SoundBite  (Read 3771 times)

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
SoundBite
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:46:46 am »
I have not seen any recent posts about anyone being fitted/using the SoundBite system. Could users please respond?  I am considering.  Any idea of cost?  United Healthcare told me they will not pay.  Any chance of challenging that since the AN surgery caused my hearing loss.  Appreciate your response(s).
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

millie

Re: SoundBite
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:09 am »
Hi there-my doc has mentioned Soundbite to me but I am not healed enough to get a device yet.  I am seriosly considering some device-maybe a phonak or a soundbite-if I an brave, a BAHA-I bet if we could hear better, we'd be less tired and dizzy.  I hope one doesn't need perfect teeth for the soundbite.
Millie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »
There are several threads on the Sound Bite - just search - including a very extensive one by Gloria (user name Arasha) that's updated pretty regularly.

You'll find it here: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=10753.msg124376#msg124376

Jan

PS - Millie you don't have to be "brave" to get a BAHA.  If you're worried about the surgery, don't be.  It's very quick, outpatient, and can be done with local anesthesia if you choose (90% of my doc's patients including me chose local).  If you're worried about wearing something on your head that people will notice, don't be; the BAHA is covered very well by your hair.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:40:19 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:34:59 pm »
Thanks Jan...I will have to get something as I don't think it is safe to drive with only hearing in one ear; Ithought I felt clearheaded enough to try driving today, but after being up and about a couple hours my head had that full feeling again and I felt , for want of a better word, dizzy or wonky, in the stores.
I think I hearing device has to help one's equilibrium or sense of presence and connection.  Thank you for the site. Mil

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »
Thanks for the link, Jan.  My biggest concern about the device is its use of near-field magnetic induction and having those waves so near my brain.  Having a son with brain cancer, I am very concerned about electromagnetic waves.  However, physics is not my thing; I am seeking more information from more knowledgeable scientists, as I don't understand most of what I read in scientific journals about this. 

I am actually seeing an ENT tomorrow in Geneva.  Of course, he has a relationship with the company I'd imagine.  But I will get more information from him, hopefully.  Haven't decided anything yet...will keep you all posted on what I find out.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

maxine

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:15 pm »
Hi,

I can't find the source now, but I was also concerned about avoiding electromagnetic fields when I was researching hearing devices, and I believe  I found one source that indicated that both the Soundbite and the Transear use piezoelectric energy rather than electromagnetic fields.  It might be worth contacting Sonitus Medical to ask, as their online info. doesn't say anything one way or the other. The Transear definitely uses piezoelectric energy, so it might be an option.  Also, I am sure it varies depending on where you are getting it, but I  think I was quoted a price of about 7000 for the Soundbite. Good luck, and please share what you find out,
Maxine

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:05 pm »
I  think I was quoted a price of about 7000 for the Soundbite.

Never looked into the Sound Bite myself - not something I'd wear (plus I already had a BAHA) and my doc and his partners chose not to carry it - but $7,000 sounds high. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways