Author Topic: Had the MRI today  (Read 2899 times)

Tinks

Had the MRI today
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:09 pm »
Hi once again......happy new year to you all and hope you had a wonderful Christmas holiday!

Finally had my MRI and MRA today but unfortunately no results today - they will be ready within 10 days - ach the wait for the MRI seemed so long and now another 10 days!!

I did not however, have contrast with this and if I remember rightly, someone posted that contrast is needed to detect an AN. not sure if anyone can put me straight with that.

So here's to (at least) another 10 days waiting.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Had the MRI today
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:53 pm »
Hello Tinks! Happy NY to you too! Yes, waiting seems to be the common theme for anything medical, unfortunately! Yes, you probably should have had the contrast with that MRI, it helps pick out the smaller AN's.  Don't worry about that for now, let's just see what these results say for you!  Take care and let us know what's going on.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Tinks

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
Hi jay and thanks for reply.

Well I haven't had a call yet from the hospital so that's good. I read another post on here re the same issue with contrast and without it it can still be detected if it is a certain size.

So keeping fingers crossed and hope all is clear on the MRI and then further tests in feb.

Lou :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »
Gadolinium contrast is best - but unless an AN is "very tiny" an MRI without contrast should pick it up.

Good luck; hope your MRI results are "clean".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tinks

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:10 am »
Thank you Jan, so do I. But if it isn't an AN, I am looking forward to having the tests to determine what is causing problems esp with acoustic reflex amongst the other related problems. Been going on for some time and I need answers. :)

Snoopy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »
I also had my MRI scan without contrast, I figured it was because I only have 1 funtioning kidney and the stuff they put in you can cause kidney problems if you already have problems in that area. I am getting my results on Tuesday, symptoms still very much the same from the beginning back in September of last year, although the tinnitus is getting louder by the week at times. Good luck with your results when you get them x

Tinks

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »
Hi snoopy. Ooh good luck with yours too and hope it is not an AN. My tinnitus changes from the hissing to a high pitch squeal to a loud dinner bell. Everything goes dead quiet in my ear before the dinner bell one - bit deaf then it starts.

I only get it in one ear - my right ear - this is the ear that I couldn't hear a thing with during tuning fork test.  Do you all get it in one or both?

I have read on here about noisy backgrounds too and I have noticed that I find people hard to understand in this kind of environment but forgot to mention it to ENT.

I had an appointment for my son at a hospital, and my son was on the floor to my right crashing with toys, and the dr was in front to my left - he must have thought me rude as I kept saying 'pardon' or 'sorry say that again'! But I found it extremely difficult to make out a word he was saying.

Virtual hugs and best wishes for you appointment next Tuesday. :) Lou