Author Topic: MRI  (Read 2436 times)

ewchisek

MRI
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:00:19 pm »
Hi all,

I have my surgery scheduled...one month from tomorrow! I'm scared, but cannot wait! My question is, how long after surgery will I get an MRI? Also, another quick question for caregivers? I realize the surgery part is the "easiest" part for me, but what about my family in the waiting room? Is there anything I can go to make the wait a little less stressful?

Slab

Re: MRI
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
One man's experience-

My first post-op MRI will be anytime between now and my 6 month appt.

My surgery was 12 hours long and the first update provided was after 5 hours. I recommend having those in the waiting room not be by themselves (preferably a positive thinking companion) and have things to keep them busy- book, smartphone, etc.- something to pass the time. My wife says that having someone in the waiting room with her made it much less stressful. She also was able to pass the time with texts and facebook.
10/30/2012 - MRI reveals 3.5 cm AN on left side 
conversation level hearing down to 20%, facial tingling/numbness around lips/nose, occasional loss of balance, and tinnitus
12/3/2012- 12 hr. Translab at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh, PA- Drs. Chen and Aziz, comp. tumor removal, facial nerve saved

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:09 pm »
When you have your first post op MRI depends on your doctor(s).

I didn't have a post op MRI until 1 year after my surgery.  My doc has patients get an annual MRI for the first 5 years post op.  If they are all "clean", he has you get your next one 5 years later.

Different docs have different protocols.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikechinnock

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:06 am »
I think it true that no one will know much about what will happen until it actually happens. I do not know the procedures at your hospital, and whether they have time during a major surgery to keep the family posted, but you can always ask the operating room staff is such is possible. That is nice that you think of easing the stress on the family. I recall my first surgery was 20 hours. Three patients were rolled into the surgery suites at 5 am. Six hours later one was rolled out all covered over. The family did not know who it was. It took 15 minutes before a nurse came out and told my family that it was not me. Five hours later that scenario was repeated. I was finally rolled out nine hours after that and I was not covered up. There was a lot of family stress with the unknown during that 20 hour ordeal. I hope you and your doctor can work out a solution to keep the family appraised.

I had a scan 6 months after I got out of the hospital. The surgeon decided upon that protocol based upon the outcome of the surgery.

Good luck next month.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.