Author Topic: Proud Momma  (Read 2676 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Proud Momma
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:32:40 pm »
been gone too long to see if I ever bragged on my kid

Sarah my youngest entered the Patriot Pen Essay contest and one at school, county and district and her essay has moved to state... she has won enough money to pay for her Washington DC trip and her part of the Silver Award that my Girl Scout troop is working on ... I am proud of her ... they were given the topic "What I would Tell Our Founding Fathers" ... had to be more than 300 words but less than 400 ... her first draft was 1000 and she started cutting til she got her entry... the ones I have heard in the past are usually politically slanted... I think she won because she just talked like a kid

There Is Hope

From the beginning America has been an experiment. A place where people came to experiment with doing things differently. You had to take risks with your life and that of your family. Would you be a success or failure? Would you be a landowner or a laborer for someone else? Would you have the skills to live and thrive? Would you be strong enough to survive being an American?

This is what America was and is. The Great American Experiment.

Our Founding Fathers wanted to form a country from people of many nations that was founded on the belief that all people should have equal rights regarding religion, speech, control of their life and what makes them happy. They wanted a central government ran by leaders that were elected by the people of this new nation.

Some people would tell our founding fathers that this has been a failure. Our country has suffered throughout its history on many levels. We fought a civil war that split our nation. But we survived and though wounded we grew stronger over time. We had to solve the problem of equal rights for all people including women and minorities. We had to learn to really care about all people and become real citizens of our nation. This is still an ongoing experiment.

What would I tell our Founding Fathers? I would say “there is still hope”.

I would tell them about the six year old girl that held a “reverse birthday party” where people brought money they would have spent on gifts to fill her toy box, and it was given to a children’s hospital to help those kids instead.

I would tell them about Relay for Life where children walk all night raising cancer awareness and money for cancer research. I would mention the ones that leave their hair behind at Relay, having donated it to give cancer patients wigs to cover their balding heads, returning a little normalcy in their life.

I would tell them about the children across the nation gathered around the flagpoles praying for the world, our country, its leaders, all those oppressed and each other.

That is what I would tell them, “As long as we have good kids, there is hope for this country we call The Great American Experiment”.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Proud Momma
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »
Congrats to Sarah; you - and she - have a right to be proud.

Great essay - and I'm glad she's optimistic enough to think "there's still hope" for America.  I'm not so sure, myself  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »
Soundy ~

Kudos to Sarah for her succinct and moving essay about America.  Although many of us see our great nation devolving in many ways, I retain hope for it's future based on great kids like your daughter - who are the future of America.  Her award was deserved and certainly reflects admirably on you and Bo.  You're raising a fine young lady.  Well done, all around.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »
Congratulations, you have every reason to be a proud Momma! A very well written article, and heartfelt! Many Blessings to you and your sweet girl!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???