Author Topic: one day at a time  (Read 5027 times)

karascott

one day at a time
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:51 pm »
I had surgery on 1/10/13. It lasted 8 hrs. No facial nerve damage and I can walk pretty good. The worst part came today because I still have a little swelling which caused Dr. Slattery's intern to bandage my head. It was so tight it made my head hurt so bad it had to be done over. I pray that the swelling will go down soon. I am glad to be on the other side of this thing. My eyes still have not adjusted to my glasses yet.  ::)
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

millie

Re: one day at a time
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:40:05 pm »
You are doing well!  Hang in there!  It took a while for my eyes to adjust to my glasses-I still don't wear them as much as I used to, but it is much better.Best wishes for your recovery.Mil

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:51:07 pm »
pleased to hear your surgery went well & sounds like your starting a fantastic recovery.   :)
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
Kara ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery!  It seems as if your recovery is on track.  I'm sure your healing will continue normally and the swelling will subside.  Remember, when it comes to surgical recovery, especially in the early stages (as you are) time is your friend.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Unjaded

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:51:25 pm »
I feel ur pains. I didn't have swelling or pain, instead my facial nerve was severed and I had a fluid leak. Seems like problems from the surgery are becoming much more frequent or maybe it's just because I notice it more.

go4sherri

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:58 am »
Great to see your doing so well so soon after your surgery. I'm sure the swelling should go down soon enough. Just a question for you in regards to your glasses, do you have to wear glasses all the time or just for reading? I'm going in for surgery on the 28th and have to wear glasses all the time as i'm pretty blind. Just curious! Thanks 8)

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:13 pm »
Hi Kara,

Good to hear you are past the surgery.  It takes quite a while for everything to get back to normal.  Unfortunately the healing process in this type of surgery has no standard by which to measure.  I know my own experiences, and I have read about others, so each one is different.  Jim said it best, time is your friend.  In reference to the eye glasses, I struggled with that as well, be patient.

kmr1969

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »
Kara,

So glad to see your post.  I hope things are going well for you and all of the folks at House, St. Vincent's, and Seton Hall are treating you well.

I had to be re-bandaged when my stitches were removed and there was a very small leak (CSF?) from the incision.  I know exactly how you feel.   They certainly don't wrap those with comfort in mind.  I just kept counting down the hours until my next appointment (I think it was something like 44 hours) and hoping there would be no problems the next time I was unwrapped.  It worked and the doctor told me that some people can't stand it and take the bandages off themselves.  Glad I didn't do that, although I thought about it.  Anyway, the bandages came off and the extra hours worked - no leak.  I was on a redeye that night back on my way to Maryland.

You will be back home soon!

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

karascott

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:05 pm »
 Thanks everyone for your encouragement.  To answer the glasses question,I need to wear them24/7, but I most take them off to do anything up close even eating. It is a little crazy right now. The doc said that it could take a month for my eyes and brain to adjust. I wish the pressure in my ear would go away more than anything. I am glad my mother in law is here because I feel like a toddler. Lol
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
Sounds like so far your recovery is par for the course.

Keep in mind that some days will be one step forward and two steps back - but you'll get there.

Patience is key; but often hard to come by  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ghenier27

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »
Well now "one day at a time" it is offical, you are postie toastie. I had my 3 year CT and am now considered cured by the doctors. I had surgery in October 2009 and I did really well. I know you will do the same.