Author Topic: Back to Work after AN Mid Fossa Surgery - Baha ??  (Read 4883 times)

Glenda

Back to Work after AN Mid Fossa Surgery - Baha ??
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
Hi All,

I started back to work this week.  4 hours this week, 6 hours next and then full time.  It's been a bit hard.  Memory is not what it was....Dr said this shouldn't be from the surgery but could be from the anesthesia. ??  I am also very tired and starting to get dizzy after the 4 hours.  Hope this gets better before working longer hours.  The SSD and the roaring of the tinnitus also bothers me with hearing the customers, but I guess I'll adjust.  The otarynologist wants to do some tests and wants me to consider a Baha, for those of you that have one, can you tell me if it is covered by insurance and what you think of it?  I had been looking at the soundbite but insurance isn't covering that and my Dr doesn't offer it at this point.
Thanks for the input!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

mojwri54

Re: Back to Work after AN Mid Fossa Surgery - Baha ??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:15 am »
I went back to work after 3 months 6 hours the first several weeks and then 8 hours for a month.  Then finally on my 9 hours days.  I did get very tired, so worked, ate and sleep seemed like all I got done at times.  My memory was slow at first I had to ask questions which made me laugh (when I needed it), because I was and again the one everyone goes to for answers. I was very lucky I had two great bosses (new ones are good also), they were on a different floor but several times a week would come down you are not pushing yourself to hard (they know me).  The one thing I had hard time at work was things got to me easier and I would have to get away.  Now 4 years later work is back to normal. 
I had a relapse after 2 years because it started growing back and then had a week of radiation, and was drain for months from that, which getting up at 0330 did not help either, that is my life since I now got on a van pool to go to work, I can sleep if I want on the hour commute (which I feel is safer in DC traffic with one eye).  It days like now I have to tell myself take it one day at a time and not get upset.  I have to take AL because the van drivers decided where they are coming from they have 2 inches of snow (which to me being raised in central PA is nothing!) is not going, so either I take leave or drive in which being dark yet and wet, snow, freezing rain and this area traffic and crazy drivers I do not trust myself which I cried hate to lose my AL leave this way but safer then sorry.  Good luck to you. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:34:43 am »
Glenda .....

I was retired before diagnosis of my AN so I did not return to paying work.  I am involved in other volunteer activities, however, with minor adjustments ..... sitting to my best hearing advantage, etc.

Re: memory ..... there have been times when I feel like I can blame the memory issues on my AN.  Those times are mostly when I am very tired or stressed.  In my opinion, during those times I am having to concentrate so much more on my balance and hearing that remembering something becomes secondary instead of primary.

I have had my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro since my second AN surgery a year and a half ago.  I can say I honestly don't know what I would do without it!  I love it because I do not have to flip around to hear someone talking on my AN side.  My insurance paid 100% of the cost of the abutment implant and the processor.  I only have to buy the batteries, which amounts to roughly $15 a year! (A battery lasts 10 to 12 days ..... I wear the processor 10-14 hrs a day.)

The SoundBite might be a good system, but for me I cannot stand the thought of having anything extra in my mouth.  The abutment in my skull is totally unnoticeable to me, except when I comb/brush my hair.

Best wishes and let us know if you have other questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »
Hi Glenda,

I can't answer your questions about BAHA, but I also had middle fossa surgery and your symptoms are not out of the ordinary.  It took me 4 months to get back to work on a limited basis, and almost two years to feel close to "normal" again.  I also struggled with memory and brain power the first year.  Having said that, the body is remarkable it heals and adapts, so you should continue to see progress.  Hang in there and stay strong.

mikechinnock

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:07:13 pm »
I had a local meeting where a presentation on the BAHA indicated that if the doctor referred to it as a prosthesis, rather than a hearing aid, it was covered by most insurance and the VA.

I have sort of decided that I spend a lot of energy keeping balanced and upright, while walking. Also A lot of concentration goes into my focusing of what people are saying, as I separated their words from all the background noise. Someone used the term, 'Power nap' in a post, and that really describes pretty much what I need every 6 hours.

Yes stay safe. After 33 years I still do not like driving in the dark, rain, snow, or heavy traffic. You seem to be doing 'Above and beyond the call of duty'. I am impressed.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Glenda

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »
Thank you all for the replies!  I really do not feel that I should have went back to work yet.  I would have liked to stay for at least 1 more month which would be 3 months but the Dr felt I was ready.  I am really dreading this next week of 6 hours and have thought that when I go back to full time next week I may need to take a power nap at lunch ;-)  I am doing the best I can and my co workers are being thoughtful and checking on me.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I guess I am doing well for what I have been through. 
I had originally not wanted a BAHA because of the thought of something sticking out of your head :-)  I'm not sure now.  The Dr highly recommended it and seems everyone that has them likes them. I was concerned about  infection but he told me the risk is very low.  The ssd does bother me more than I had anticipated, I think some of that is the tinnitus which seems to roar so loud when I am tired so by the end of the day it is terrible.  The Dr said he thought that may get better as I continue to heal, I hope so!  I guess I have some more decision making to do. 
Mike, thank you for the wording the Dr may need to use.  I will ask him about that.  The way you described the way you feel is exactly the way I feel.  Thank you for sharing, it makes me feel so "not alone"
I really do appreciate all of your replies!!  We shall hang in there together!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:44 am »
Glenda, my fave good witch :)  :-*

I know this journey has been difficult and having met many with BAHA (JoeF, leapyrtwins/Jan, steveg/former moderator, etc), I can note that many do not note about having the device on the head but the joy it brings in helping with hearing.  I'm so sorry you are feeling not up to par and sending healing hugglez to you...... 

Wellness wishes, m'dear!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:38:16 am »
Hey, Glenda, as ppearl (Hey, Phyl :-*) notes, there are many here on the forum who have a BAHA and love it!  There are also a few who have the Soundbite, which is quite new, who also love it.  An option you didn't mention, is the Phonak Cros...it is a device which has a processor that goes over your ear (like the new hearing aids you see folks wearing now).  Apparently, the "old" Cros was not so great, but I have heard very good things about the new one.  There are a number of discussions about all of these over in the Hearing section of the forum.  I have had reps for both the BAHA and Cros come to our Atl support group meetings and it seems they are both good options, depending on individual choice and finances.  Yes, the BAHA should be covered by insurance - fight for it, if they at first deny it.  The Cros is much cheaper, obviously, but it is my understanding that it is not usually covered by insurance.  Howevere, a lady in our support group got the Cros last year and her insurance DID cover it. 

Each week should get better for you...I hope your difficulty at work will ease up...it is tough to concentrate when so much is going on in the head as we are healing and adjusting to our new selves.

Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Glenda

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
Phyl!  So good to hear from you and thank you so much for the well wishes and healing hugglez!  They are greatly appreciated!!  :)

Thank you Cindy for the info.  The Dr did also mention the Transear but he felt the BAHA was the best option.  I will look into the Hearing section and read up on the options.

I did have a bad moment today....may seem silly to you but it hurt.  My memory is just really off.....I feel like I'm in a fog.  I got confused when someone ask me a question in the office and one of my co-workers kinda made fun of me like "really"  I just wanted to sit down and cry.....I hate this feeling..... sorry I just needed to vent that.....

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness

mikechinnock

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:13 pm »
I understand Glenda. Perhaps what happened to you strikes fear in fellow workers, as if it happened to you, it could happen to them. If so, perhaps they do not know how to deal internal conflict and thus become insensitive to protect themselves. Perhaps tears are part of the grief cycle you are experiencing. Perhaps I understand. Nomeste' Glenda.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

mccsurg

• Twitter: mccsurg
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:46 pm »
Glenda,

Good for you for getting back to work! Is it hard? Of course it is! Will it get better? Definitely!

I would agree that memory issues should not be part of your AN surgery, but could very well be from the anesthesia. Expect to get dizzy (I prefer "imbalanced") when you get tired for the rest of your life. That never changes. What will change is the amount that you can do before you reach that stage.

I had terrible tinnitus before my surgery (it's the symptom that got me into treatment) and it was a little better after. That took months before it finally started to quiet down. One of the real myths is that deafness is quiet. My deaf ear is never silent, but now it's a white noise that is very easy to ignore for weeks at a time.

I guess I have a question for you, and others who have gone that route, about what you hope to get out of a BAHA or similar? I can live with hearing out of one ear and, in fact, it has a few advantages. I can put the irksome guest/client on my deaf side at dinner and not be bothered, I can always put my good ear down on the pillow and sleep in blissful silence, etc. The only issue that plagues me is the lack of localization and that won't improve with any assistive devices. If I were going to give you advice (OK, I guess I am!) I'd suggest waiting at least a year to see if it's something you really think you need once your vestibular recovery is more complete.

matt

2.1 cm left sided AN
Removed July 30, 2004

millie

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:28 pm »
Glenda-
That you have gone back to work and are so diligent about getting on with life is heroic.  I know it is hard, but try not to be hurt by those that do not understand.  Just smile brightly and tell folks to please direct and  focus important info on your good side-and  say you are so grateful to have that one great ear-say ""one is better than none! "  and smile brightly again.  I am lucky to be retired. I would have needed six months before I went back to the middle school.
Take care of your body and spirit.  God bless us, every one. Mil

Glenda

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »
Thank you Mil!! 

I needed that today!!  The last two days have been a little off here at work.  It got busy yesterday and I could not hear anything with all the noise.  I had a headache by the end of the day and then went home to insurance EOB's and looked at what I would owe and got depressed and dug into a baby ruth and potato chips LOL!! My weakness when I worry.  I had gained weight between the thyroid problem I had before surgery and then the down time with surgery so I had been doing pretty good with my diet until I read those things....  My husband is disabled and therefore I am the bread winner and with the economy like it is....I worry....my bad habit!!  God has been so good to my family and I know I need to give it over to Him, I will try to do that from here on out ;-)  Thank you for the words of encouragement!! I hope you are hanging in there and doing well!! 

Your friend,
Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness