Author Topic: Surgery scheduled  (Read 3288 times)

robertb

Surgery scheduled
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
Time to check in. This relatively small but devilish tumor that has taken residence in my right inner ear, size wise should have left me on 'watch and wait' status and has caused me and my family so many problems, is finally going to be removed. I have finished my Chemical Labrinthectomy treatment. The CL treatment was meant to stop my continual dizzies by injecting an antibiotic (Gentimicin) into my inner ear (very painful- 3 treatments in all spread out over an unsteady and uncomfortable month). The Gentimicin should have destroyed my vestibular signal which has been so compromised by this tumor and has caused my life to be so miserable for the last 4+ months. The treatment seemed to have worked a bit by stopping the heavy and intense head pressure that I used to have but I am still dizzy all my waking hours. My ENT's in Northern California would like me to repeat a VNG test (vestibular test to check the signal from my inner ear to brain) which I had taken after my original diagnostic MRI. They want a benchmark for my progress. I'm still wonky head dizzy, how's that for a benchmark! Meanwhile I sent all my records to the House Clinic for a second opinion. House doctor called me and said at this point I should just have the tumor removed. Since I have Kaiser he recommended Dr. Cueva at Kaiser San Diego and Dr. Cueva graciously called me and he agreed with the House diagnosis. Even though I am anxious about cranial surgery, I am ready to get this all behind me. Since the tumor with the assist of the CL treatment has rendered me essentially deaf on that side a Translab is on order (Feb 27th). I want to thank you all for this awesome discussion forum that has helped me so much as I have searched for answers and assurance through all of your journeys. I'll check in after my surgery. Oh yea, and a very important query; does anyone have any experience with Dr. Cueva? Experience with San Diego Kaiser? Thanks to all, Robert Bertram 
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

jbbrown15

Re: Surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:24 am »
Hi, Robert.  I don't know about those surgeons, but I wanted to say that it sounds like you've done everything right to put yourself in a position to make the best decision possible.  I had pressure pain in my head but did radiation and it did not get better.  Medication has helped somewhat, but I may be having surgery to try to finally resolve my problems. 

Best of luck to you!  Did you say when your surgery will be?

JB
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

Sheila1977

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:37 pm »
Hi Robert,
Dr. Cueva was my surgeon, as well as Dr. Mostradimos (not sure if I am spelling his name right).  Translab in September 2012.  Both doctors are excellent and well experienced in this surgery.  Every time I had a question, Dr. Cueva responded and quickly.  When I had more than a few questions, he was generous with his time and called me directly.  I felt I was in the best of hands and while I had been quite anxious about this decision, after conducting my due diligence and coming to the decision about surgery I felt at peace about surgery with these doctors.  They are recognized by their peers in their field.  My recovery has been very good, although I have to say that most of my issues are with my expectations and impatience.  I am happy to answer any questions you have about surgery.  PM if you like.
s
7mm AN June 2011
Almost doubled in July 2012
Translab Sep 2012 at Kaiser San Diego

kzepol

Re: Dr.Cueva
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31:12 am »
 Hi Robert, I'm glad you're having surgery so soon. I have a cochlear neuroma  - a very small slow growing tumor in my cochlea. I had ( and still have) severe tinitus and hearing loss for about 5 years before the tumor was finally detected - this took going to the House clinic and paying out of pocket twice and then insisting on meeting with Dr. Cueva. I don't have dizziness and actually work full time at a business that involves talking with people and listening in courtrooms. I have learned to pay very close attention. A friend had surgery with doctor Cueva and liked him very much and her results were pretty good although everybody's situation is different. Good luck!

TexasSprinter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:13:29 am »
Robert--New forum member (and AN surgery survivor) here wondering how your surgery went.  Hope all is well.

robertb

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:53:22 am »
It has been 11 days since my Translab surgery done at Kaiser San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos. The surgery was an apparent success with complete removal of the tumor, my vestibular and acoustic nerves, etc. while my facial nerve seems to have survived just fine (except for my taste is off with everything tasting the same kind of rancid oily (hard to describe but not good!)). Being athletic (surfer) I figured that I would walk right away and everyday no matter how wonky headed I felt post op to bounce back ASAP but I really misjudged the pain in my head from the incision area and accompanying headaches. My surgery was Wed, spent Thursday in ICU, Friday on a heart monitor because my pulse had dropped to around 42. Friday afternoon the docs said that if I could pee I could leave and after the catheter was removed and replaced and removed again, I was released on Saturday to fly home (Northern California approx. 2hr. flight) the next morning. I tried to lay off of the pain meds the day of release and that was a big mistake. Flew home OK and have slept with medication taking charge ever since with Yesterday (9 days from surgery) the first day of walking a mile and today (Saterday, Day 10 post-op) I walked several miles. Still need the meds several times through the night but obviously feeling better. Staples and check up this coming Wed (14 days post op). To sum up, my doctors and nurses in San Diego were fantastic. Must be 25 staples keeping my ear attached and I am wonky headed with surgical pain starting to subside. I am alive and am so glad the AN is out and that I will do everything in my power to surf again. Thanks to everyone on the forum for your support, stories, advice, and general back up.  robertb
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

TexasSprinter

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »
Robert--that's great news.  Take it easy on the recovery.  The waves will still be there when you're back up to speed.