Author Topic: It's been 3 years since my surgery  (Read 1790 times)

ghenier27

It's been 3 years since my surgery
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »
I have been blessed for those who remember. I had my surgery done at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida. I was in the hosptial for just 4 days. I was walking the yard 2nd day home. I was driving with in 5 days around the neighbor. Two weeks later, I was driving myself to the local food loin and using one of those electric carts to do my shopping with. My doctor, Dr. Steven Lewis called me his poster child for this surgery. My tumor was too big for radation. I have not any major problems since then with the exception of not being able to walk in heels. I never took the amount of pain meds either that the doctor thought I would need. I think I took a total of 6 pills during the whole recovery. Not that I didn't hurt but I wanted to get back on my feet as soon as possible.

The reason, I came on here and told my story again was to give those were about to have surgery. Think postive. My strenght for getting well fast is I am the only care taker of my 34 year old disabled daughter. And it is just the 2 of us. By the fourth week, I was once again lifting my 130 pound daughter from the bed to the wheelchair, to the car and so on.  I understand, I spend a few months on here myself during my pre surgery days - trying to think of what to do. Take care my dear friends, debi  Oh, I am still tumor free and doctors now considers me as cured.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:39:25 pm by Jim Scott »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: It's been 3 years since my surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »
Hi, Debbi ~

Thanks for that encouraging message.  As an AN patient with a large (4.5 cm) tumor that underwent both (retro) surgery and radiation (FSR) and, like you, enjoyed a rapid recovery while maintaining a steely determination to 'get my life back', I appreciate your positive input. 

Jim

P.S. I removed your e-mail address per our posting rules.  Interested members can PM you to get your e-mail address.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mikechinnock

Re: It's been 3 years since my surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54:44 am »
I find few things more uplifting than a success story. Thank you for sharing your 3 year milestone. I hope to meet you in L.A.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.