Author Topic: Physicians/treatment facilities in West Tennessee area  (Read 3874 times)

Carol2013

Physicians/treatment facilities in West Tennessee area
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »
Hi, I was recently diagnosed with AN. It is small but I am symptomatic. I haven't found a lot of info about physicians with AN experience in my area.  Are there any Tennesseans on the forum who would be willing to share your thoughts or experiences?

I have seen the numerous posts about sending disks for free review at House and other facilities.  I'll definitely pursue this but would like to compare their recommendations to those from physicians in the area.

Lots of good info in this forum. Thanks!!

JerseyGirl2

Re: Physicians/treatment facilities in West Tennessee area
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:44 am »
I realize that Nashville is in central, rather than west, Tennessee, but I believe that a number of people on this forum have been pleased with their AN treatments at Vanderbilt.

JerseyGirl 2
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
Welcome to the club. Check out the ANA website. There's a directory of physicians and several listed for Tennessee.

Here's the page:

http://anausa.org/index.php/medical-resources/physicians-directory/214-physician-directory-by-state

You'll have to register and log in to see it I think. But here's the list of Tennessee physicians:

TENNESSEE
Marc L. Bennett, M.D.
David S. Haynes, M.D.
Alejandro Rivas, M.D.
Reid C. Thompson, M.D.
George B. Wanna, M.D.
Kyle D. Weaver, M.D.

There are likely many other resources in nearby states or along the east coast.

If you like, you can post your age, the dimensions of the AN and your symptoms and open up discussions that might be of help to you.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:04:38 pm »
Yes, Vanderbilt is the place usually mentioned in TN area.  There are a couple of patients I've met here in Atl who traveled there for their surgeries.  If you don't get any response from anyone here on the forum, let me know and I'll try to contact the ones I know of - I'm sure they would be glad to share their stories with you.

Best to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Carol2013

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »
Thanks for info.  Saw neurotologist today who did fellowship at House. he was very informative, easy to talk to and I liked his conservative approach. Several more tests are scheduled tomorrow morning to figure out origin of symptoms.

I started having neck pain, headaches, visual disturbances and similar symptoms a year ago. Saw orthopedist and he found mild cerical spine degeneration. Physical therapy helped a great deal but I have some lingering issues off and on. A few weeks ago had vertigo lasting several hours.  I assumed meniere's and saw NP who works with a great ENT. She agreed that it was probably meniere's based on symptoms and family history but wanted MRI to make sure I didn't have AN.

MRI revealed 2mm AN and mild cerebellar tonsillar ectopia. NP referred me to neurotologist that I saw today. Because AN is so small the doctor hsaid it is is possible but uncommon for it to cause all my symptoms. He scheduled other tests to check meniere's and gave me some advice regarding neck. 

I'm fortunate that symptoms are more of an annoyance than anything else - tinnitus, mild unilateral hearing loss and mild disequilibrium. I can ignore it most of the time and not let it interfere with job or activities but I would like to keep it that way!   

Disequilibrium seems to be associated with neck or stimulated by a lot of visual activity.  I don't have to go to an amusement park, rapid scrolling on ipad is like a roller coaster ride.   ;D 

Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated.  This seems like a great site!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:53:38 am »

Because AN is so small the doctor hsaid it is is possible but uncommon for it to cause all my symptoms. He scheduled other tests to check meniere's and gave me some advice regarding neck. 

Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated.  This seems like a great site!

We have seen many people here with very small tumors who have had pretty severe symptoms...mine was probably very small when I first started having moderate to severe vertigo (many years before I was diagnosed).  I eventually compensated for it, or my brain did, I suppose ;) and it was not until diagnosis years later that I realized what had been causing me so much trouble with my vestib system.  Many stories like mine...

Let us know what the tests show and take care!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Carol2013

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »
Tests showed mild meniere's in left ear and very small neuroma in right. On dyazide and so much better!