Author Topic: sunken in spot at site of surgery?  (Read 4090 times)

kippy6

sunken in spot at site of surgery?
« on: August 27, 2006, 07:37:39 pm »
I had my AN removed via translab almost 6 weeks ago. The area was itching slightly, and I felt a sunken in spot near my scar. I asked my husband to look at it, and he said it does look a little sunken in. Is this normal?
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: sunken in spot at site of surgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:56:38 pm »
Kippy,
  This is pretty common.  Check out an earlier thread on the same topic, http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1665.0
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:31:08 am »
Yep, I am a dent head, too.  The muscle and tissue over the site often atrophy and you can feel a big divot in my head and even feel one of my screws!  MD said normal and no worries and MRI this week looked great so I guess I will believe him.

Don't be surprised if the dent grows for a bit.  Mine took a few months to cave in!

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:08:36 pm »
Double post.  My apologies.   :-[
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:11:16 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 04:09:40 pm »
Yeah, I have a 'dent', too.  It's normal and nothing to worry about.  It's not noticable, even with my relatively short hair, so -no worries.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:54:36 am »
I think just about everyone ends up with the dent as the fatty stuff they put in the hole is absorbed.....since I wear glasses, the stems cover mine up so its not noticeable at all.

RTD
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:44 pm »
HI Kippy6,

I had middle fossa approach and I have a dent and a bump where I can feel one of the three titanium bands that are keeping my head together. I would say that your problem is a normal one. How did you like Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger? I think they were an awesome team. I was so pleased with how things turned out that I went back to see them for my one year check up.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger