Author Topic: Tired!!  (Read 2578 times)

miller

Tired!!
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:57 am »
I am almost 7 months out from translab at House for a 3x3x3 AN.  My problem is I am tired.  We are  in the process of moving, and I have always been very active.  I have flown back and forth across the country working on the house we are building.  I am trying to get our house ready for sale, and I am taking care of our two kids.  My husband does not seem to understand that I am still recovering.  I  am packing and moving boxes up and down the stairs.  Loading them into the car to take to storage.  I feel that everything takes more effort and I am tired, but I can tell  he seems to think I am just not pulling my weight.  Can I please hear from others because I am feeling overwhelmed.
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Tired!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:58 am »
Hi Miller

Many times over the years here, we have noted fatigue and regardless of AN treatment option (surgery, radiation), fatigue goes hand in hand with any type of brain tumors (benign or malignant).

We have shared here over the years a wonderful brochure by Dr. Peter Black and Nancy Conn-Levin which I now share here:

http://www.brainsciencefoundation.org/Portals/0/Uploads/Documents/Public/bt_and_fatigue.pdf

Many over the years noted they found great help in what this brochure notes about fatigue and ways to combat it. I share it here in the hopes that the information in the brochure may be of help.

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »
Miller,

This is standard operating behavior for those who have yet to be hit by a "bolt from the blue" and compromised to one degree or another. It's like, "Forgive them father for they know not what they do" (that is, until something happens to them).
People have gone as far as belittling and even laughing at me for alluding to what I went through; though, while it could have been much worse, was traumatic nonetheless. Respect for my fellow man has measurably decreased since my ordeal over six years ago, not because I'm embittered over what happened to me but how I've been treated by my peers. Life is a Social Darwinist, competitive struggle and it's easy to roll with the punches when you're on the young side and in good health.

I never knew fatigue like I did before and for many months after my surgeries. I passed out behind the wheel for the first time in my life and came to in the opposite lane of a major road, broadsiding a snowbank. I had no control over it. Luckily, no one was coming the other way. Before my surgery I was so tired I was literally crawling around the house. After my surgeries I would fall asleep constantly, taking naps throughout the day.

I could tell you some stories regarding the nastiness I've gone through with people but this not the place for it.

The good news is that the fatigue eventually fades as time goes on. It's important to stay as active as you can to keep limber,  stabilize equilibrium and get good oxygen.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

millie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:02:51 am »
Hi Miller!
I understand what you feel.  Everyone says I look so much better than right after surgery five month ago but I get tired more easily.  I think unless they have walked in our shoes, it is hard to understand.  At a wake I recently attended some colleagues whom I thought were compassionate friends did not even know I had had any health issues. I felt like a nonentity...like dust in the wind.
Try to keep sharing with your husband what you feel.  Tell him you feel so sad that you are tired and it seems to be taking more time than you thought. Tell him you probably need to take naps and you may need his help to do what is really important in life.  Moving, and house-hunting and/or building is huge!  I  don't know how you are doing it!  I went on an overnight with my daughter, daughter-in-law and four grandkids to Mystic aquarium via the ferry.  I
came home and was exhausted then got an upper respiratory infection. 
What I am trying to say is I have heard the first year after major surgery is all about recovery-and we had major surgery.
Nurture yourself.  Prayers and hugs, Mil

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:22:50 am »
Phyl, thanks for the great article.  I'm 7 months post surgery and still deal with more fatigue than prior to surgery but it is much better than the first few months!!!!  I am also learning how to let go of previous obligations that are no longer life giving.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.