Author Topic: Permanent Sutures...anyone...?  (Read 3365 times)

Pajamas

Permanent Sutures...anyone...?
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:31:09 pm »
Short of the long: Had AN removal surgery on 11/7/12. Got staph infection two weeks later. Had another surgery 11/27 to remove one of the two titanium plates, and clean out the infection. Incision site closed with permanent sutures to keep it tightly closed.

My question: Does anyone eles here have permanent sutures in their head? Mine are annoying and painful to touch. The knots from the sutures bulge out of my skin and in some areas (when I turn my head a certain way) have dark grey bulges where you can actually see the color of the sutures underneath. Two months ago my surgeon had to cut a piece off that was sticking straight out of my neck about a quarter of an inch. He also cut off some of the "bulges" including my skin, where the knots were.

I thought the sutures would have chilled out by now but they seem to hanging out and irritating the bejeez out of me. I know it takes time for these things to settle but I am curious what your experiences are?

Jamie
Irvine, CA ~ Female ~ 32
10mm x 5mm x 6mm AN Left Side
Diagnosed: 9/19/12
Removed: 11/7/12
* Retrosigmoid Endoscopic w/Dr. John Frazee @ UCLA

kmr1969

Re: Permanent Sutures...anyone...?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:27 pm »
Jamie,

Can't add anything to answer your question, but just shaking my head at all you have had to endure.  I know it is different for all of us, but you have surely had to deal with more than your fair share of challenges. 

I hope that someone can relate to your question and provide you with some good advice.  Keep hanging in there, you are long overdue for some good breaks.

Wishing you the best,

Ken
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:46:53 pm by kmr1969 »
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Re: Permanent Sutures...anyone...?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:55 am »
Hi Jamie

I thought I was the only one who had an issue with sutures. I didn't know they were sutures when it first started bothering me. A few months after my surgery, my head started hurting in different locations other than the incision site. I was constantly touching my head and noticed different lumps and bumps. At one point, I could see something gray sticking out too. My daughter kept an eye on it each day. It was really bothering me and I thought they just left some sutures in by mistake. So I went to my family doc and he called a neurosurgeon. He flat out told me to stop touching the suture sites or I'll most likely end up with a bad infection. It was hard not touching it after that. Over time, I developed a bad habit of running my hand across my scar, lumps etc. And each time, I'd mess with the sutures that were so close to the surface. Eventually, the sutures weren't as noticeable and I quit touching them. Now they don't even come up and I rarely think about them.

I hope you find some relief too.

Davecz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea