Author Topic: Healing  (Read 2002 times)

karascott

Healing
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:55 am »
I had Retrosigmoid (suboccipital) surgery on 1/10/13, and I just want to know how long does it really take for the incision area to really heal.  Somedays it is a little puffy and some times it is sore especially in the morning. Is this normal and if so how long will it last.  The doc told as long as it is not purple or leaking it is fine. It does not feel fine.  Also some days I feel my balance is bad, and my mouth is really dry and my taste has gotten worst. Is this normal to take 3 steps forward just go 5 steps back?
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Healing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:11:54 pm »
Hi, Kara ~

I underwent Retrosigmoid AN surgery in 2006 and it took the incision site approximately a month to heal. However, it took close to a year for that area of my skull to feel relatively normal again, although it still retains a sensitivity that, while not a problem, is noticeable to me. As individuals, some folks will heal faster than others. 

However, if the incision site does not feel 'right' to you after more than 2 months post-op, you might consider consulting another doctor for a second opinion, just in case there is some underlying problem not yet visible.  Your skepticism regarding your doctors opinion is justified.   Physicians are not infallible and have been known to 'miss' things that later caused their patients grief and could have been corrected if caught in time.

Post-op dry mouth and imbalance are not terribly unusual and should eventually subside.  AN surgery is invasive and the various nerves involved take time to rebound.  When discussing AN surgery healing, remember that time is on our side. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

karascott

Re: Healing
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:30 pm »
Thank you. It did heal but has keloid. :(. Or Buckled as they say.
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz