Author Topic: Severe Exhaustion  (Read 2399 times)

lauralynn

Severe Exhaustion
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
Well it's coming up on my 4 year post op anniversary and I'm still having a pretty hard time with things.  My facial weakness has increased, fortunately it's not noticeable from my outer appearance but the slightest movement of my face/mouth and I can feel the severe weakness.  I struggle w/ everyday things...like eating.  My mouth gets so tired, so easily.  I've always had a hard time w/ fatigue and getting exhausted easily.  About mid December I noticed that my fatigue and exhaustion and the feeling of weakness throughout my whole body...especially the AN side has gotten alot worse.  I am unable to work due to my fatigue and my facial weakness can cause pain.  I definitely do not have the ability to work, I tried going back to work and it did more harm than good.  My quality of life has really changed but I'm not giving up and throwing in the towel.  It's just been a very long road and it doesn't help that my doctor's have very little compassion.  My surgeon's were great but unfortunately I can't follow up w/ them.  I'm just wondering if there are other ANers that have experienced an increase in their issues years after surgery? 
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

dunncll

Re: Severe Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »
HI,
AN's are a life changing experiance for some.  I have read stories that were incrediable.  After 23 years post op X's 2.  One in 91, then again in 96. Exhaustion and dibilitating head pain will always be my major complaint.  Along the way I have adjusted to hearing loss and balance issues.  If I remember right, there would have been NO way I could have gone to work before 1 year was up along with raising 3 children.  Everytime I moved, my head felt like it was going to blow from the preasure.  I feel now, I never had time to rest properly after the surgeries and being "hopped up" on steriods didn't help.  I do believe that when you feel exausted. You MUST rest.  Your body has to get use to the invaision that has happened.  Our brains have been touched either by human hands or machinery. Drills, Saws, and whatever else they have to do to get this thing out of us.  Rest=Heal in my book.  Don't ever feel guilt over healing and finding peace within your body.  We after all, have suffered greatly.
Karma and happy napping... for it is good for your soul.
C.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:44:40 am »
exhaustion was/can still be a major issue for me.....frustrating ain't it!
I am almost 25 years post-op and still have the issue however not as bad as "in the early years", fortunately in those days I didn't yet have children and although I returned to work 3 months post-op I found on the days I worked I only could work and sleep and on my days off I had to "rest up" quiet a bit.
I found the problem to be worse once I had children and could not longer sleep all I wanted and whenever I wanted......some days were a big blur. Now that my children are older I am able to get the extra rest I need when I need it.
I discussed this issue with my surgeon about 8 years post-op.....he wasn't very helpful, told me I shouldn't be working full time anyway! (I ask if he would pay my bills.......needless to say he didn't like my responce)
I don't really have an answer for you except nap all you can when you can but please take some comfort in knowing  you're not the only one.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lauralynn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »
Dunncll and Kathleen,

Thank you both for your responses.  I went to a support group meeting just this week and it's interesting how everyone has such a different story.  Everyday is a struggle but God gets me through each one.  God Bless both of you and have a very Happy Easter!
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »
Wow.....sounds like me! I didn't have any facial nerve issues though— thankfully.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.