Author Topic: Numbness sensation of head  (Read 4440 times)

Derosa9817

Numbness sensation of head
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »
I have another quick question for the people who have either experienced this feeling or have worked through it over time.

I feel as though the entire right side of my head weighs twice as much as the left side of my head. I was told that the reason is that until the nerves reconnect and heal there is a numbness. Does this truly get better with time and how long should I prepare myself for this? I know we are all different and healing is such a unique experience but any insight or wisdom from someone who has been through this would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Derosa9817
Initial MRI - 10/31/12
Pressure headaches, ringing in right ear, numb-
ness  and loss of taste buds right side, balance issues
R AN 2.7x3.2x2.3 cm
Retrosigmoid 1/24/13
JHU- Dr. Tamargo & Dr. Chien
Double vision, deafness right side, numbness, tinnitus

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Numbness sensation of head
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:47:35 am »
Hi Derosa9817 .....

Me again .....  ;D  Yep, this is one time when you can legitimately be called a "numbskull."  8)

As you say, everyone is different but in my case, it has taken months over which the numbness has lessened.  Another factor in your head feeling heavy on your surgery side is the loss of hearing so all of your normal senses in that area have been disrupted.

Hopefully someone else will add their situation here, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Derosa9817

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:28 pm »
I now have an excuse for being a "numbskull" :)

Thank you for your quick and gentle responses. They have brought me clarity and peace of mind for the moment. I will try and remember when I am struggling. I just wish the doctors had mentioned it before surgery. It might have helped with some of the anxiety I now feel about the sensory overload you described because that is exactly how I feel. I know that the healing journey is a process and I am. Ly just beginning. I have always been an over achiever ;)

Warmregards,
Elizabeth
Initial MRI - 10/31/12
Pressure headaches, ringing in right ear, numb-
ness  and loss of taste buds right side, balance issues
R AN 2.7x3.2x2.3 cm
Retrosigmoid 1/24/13
JHU- Dr. Tamargo & Dr. Chien
Double vision, deafness right side, numbness, tinnitus

millie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:33:49 am »
I still have some numbness but overall it gets much better...even my head does not feel as full or heavy and I am so grateful for that!I know what you mean about being told about these things before surgery.  Hang in there!  Millie

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »
I know what you're talking about. Much of the numbness will subside over time as your doctor said it would.

There are certain things that take longer than others to heal and other things that will never be quite the same again. My surgeries were eight years ago and the left side of my face still feels like it's been shot up with Novocaine, although not as extreme as it did the first year or two after surgery. Also, the areas around the incisions were numb but gradually came back to normal within a year.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.