Author Topic: AN and Fibromyalgia  (Read 1763 times)

Ellen K

AN and Fibromyalgia
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:03 am »
Hi All - I'm 48 and all heck broke out in my body three years ago.  I developed tremors, severe dizziness, balance problems, and joint pain (like frozen shoulder, knee pain, overall soreness, and foot neuromas).  Fun times.  I had been really healthy - organic mostly vegetarian type who exercised and had good social support, though a lot of stress.  I was diagnosed with a tiny AN and essential (hereditary) tremor in 2010, and Fibro last summer.  The AN tumor has blessedly stayed at only 2mm after three years of monitoring.  Dizziness is mostly gone, but balance issues prevail.  Acupuncture and Chinese herbs have helped ENORMOUSLY.  I also did a few sessions of vestibular therapy.

I've seen there are some other folks with AN and Fibro on the forum through the search function.  I wonder if most of my symptoms are from the Fibro and not the AN?  That would certainly make me the poster child for watching and waiting with a small tumor!  Not that it really matters, I suppose - I know many of us have several conditions that may be conflated.  But I would love to hear from others out there who also have fibro.  Have you been able to improve your balance?  What kind of treatments have helped the most, particularly for those symptoms that are likely from both AN and Fibro, like balance, fatigue and brain fog?

The only meds I currently take are amatryptaline to help with sleep. 
Thanks so much - Ellen
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: AN and Fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:17 am »
Hi Ellen

I was diagnosed with Fibro in the early 2000's... my AN discovered (by accident, no symptoms) in 2005.  Fibro is usually secondary to another medical issue (in my case, it wasn't the AN but another medical issue).  I failed 17 out of 18 trigger points.  There doesn't seem to be any medical data to note a correlation between the 2 and it's never even been a consideration in my case.  Medical professionals note for Fibro to eat properly, sleep regularly (set schedule bed times/rise times) and most important, exercise.  Exercise will stir up the endorphins to help bring forth energy.  I am also treated with meds (there are many that have Fibro uses).  I experience the deep tissue pain and fatigue a lot but have learned over time how to manage it. 

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"