Author Topic: Radiation?  (Read 4147 times)

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Radiation?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:07:43 pm »
I had x-ray treatment to my head/neck area as a young child.  A few years ago I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism caused by parathyroid adenomas (2) and now I have been diagnosed with AN?  I wonder if these issues might be related to the x-rays.  Anybody else out there have a similar experience?
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

alabamajane

Re: Radiation?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:14:13 pm »
I did have similar situation,, thyroid cancer in 2004 and during thyroidectomy discovered 1parathyroid adenoma also removed.. Then in 2008 discovered the wonderful AN,, removed by translab surgery in 2011,, there has been some evidence that childhood X-rays are one factor in development of ANs,, but I am not a Dr just what I have read, I was not told there was any relationship by my Dr.

I would imagine you will get responses from others that have had endocrine issues also,,, good luck to you,,, let us know what you find out,,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Alice

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:46:17 am »
I've had multiple head CTs done in the past. I had several done (my local hospital lied to me about MRI availability according to the local imaging centre, whole affair was ugly and they ultimately had to apologise to me...) when I presented post-discharge following my AN operation, and soon after a meningioma was found in my skull base. Its only recorded growth correlates to those CTs... I'm currently being investigated for neurofibromatosis type II, anyway, and I don't know how the radiation would factor into that -- maybe it caused a growth spurt; my neurologist agrees that this is a potential factor. I don't know. At the end of the day, brain tumour origins aren't really well understood and we can only speculate as to our own individual experiences.

Good luck!
4cm~ right-sided acoustic neuroma (2004?-2011)
- resected w/ translabyrinthine approach 11th May 2011 (hearing lost pre-operatively)
Meningioma en plaque in foramen magnum (2012-)
- watch and wait
Being tested for NF2

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:06:34 pm »
I am 63. Had my tonsils out when I was about 3 years old,  and was later treated with some type of radiation several times to reduce the size of  some growth in my throat. When I was about 50, I had half of my thyroid removed because of a tumor. I am the only one of 4 kids in my family that had the radiation and the thyroid problem. I have no idea if any of it is related or not.

James

Bonnie B.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:16:29 pm »
I also had growths on one of my parathyroid glands that were surgically removed about nine years ago.   One year ago I was diagnosed with a 1.7 cm AN.  Makes you wonder.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

Dee-dee

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
I developed thyroid problems (5 nodules on the thyroid) a year after gamma knife radiation for the AN.  I wonder if there is any correlation.  I had been tested before that for thyroid, including sonograms, and there was no problem.
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »
Dee-Dee, yours is the first post I believe I have ever read about thyroid problems after treatment ,, VERY interesting ,, sure sounds a little too coincidental doesn't it,, of course I am not a Dr but I have to believe "somewhere down the road" it will be determined that the endocrine system is a factor in AN development ,, much as they say early radiation treatment is,,, we' ll see I guess,,
Thanks for post,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26