Author Topic: My Thanks To My Support System  (Read 7119 times)

mesafinn

My Thanks To My Support System
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:05:31 pm »
To those who have been educating me, I wanted you to know that my GK procedure is scheduled Friday morning at UPMC (Pittsburgh) w/Dr. Lunsford.

Don't really know where to start with my thanks--MK in Ontario has provided a lot of helpful and local information while also sharing her story, experience, and expertise.  I am grateful.

Robinb has been willing to talk by phone, converse over email, and was instrumental in getting me to where I got.  Thanks for blazing the trail!

Arizona Jack, you have made me laugh out loud so many times I lost count.  Your sense of humor and your input has provided me warmth over this dreary discernment time, and I am appreciative.

There are others--many others--whose "screen names" have become friends and lifelines and confidants and allies.  To those who post here regularly, who have replied to my posts, who have PM'd me, and who have taught me much, I may not be acknowledging you here by name but you are going into my treatment with me on Friday.

The Powers That Be know that few understand the way those who have shared the journey with you understand.  Many of you here have touched my heart with your kindness, care, and compassion.

Friday will be made easier because of you.  Thanks.  And I'll be back to help others in the way you have helped me.

Peace, Faith, and Good Health,

Patrick
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

Echo

Re: My Thanks To My Support System
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »
Wishing you the very best Patrick! I'll be sending good thoughts your way on Friday! 
I look forward to hearing how things go.  Your strength, positive outlook and kindness have been inspiring as I continue to struggle through this pretreatment phase.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

robinb

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:50 am »
Hi Patrick-

Will be thinking of you; check in when youre finished. Safe travels!
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

cindyjarrett

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:44:25 am »
Patrick,

Was just reading your post.  Want you to know that I will be praying for you.  I had gammaknife on October 12, 2012, at the University of Virginia.  I did begin having some side effects around 4 months but now at 6 months (and after steriods) I am feeling great.  I am still very happy with my decision for gamma.  Best wishes.

Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »
Patrick ~

Your generous words of thanks to our forum contributors is much appreciated.  I'm so pleased to learn that the ANA site has been such a help to you. 

You'll be in our collective thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome to your GK treatment on Friday. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:41 am »
Patrick,

I am glad that we were able to help. That's what we are here for. Thank you for all your kind words.
Best wishes for your procedure tomorrow and for a successful outcome overall. We will be expecting your updates.

Marianna

PS. Don't forget the cold compresses to ease swelling from the pin sites after your treatment!
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »
Dear Patrick,

You have nothing to fear! The machine should be soundless....Nobody told me this!!!!!! I went through it in June of 2012. Of course, I was a little achy from the pinholes and had a mild headache for about 3 days. The scars start to fade after 3 weeks. Good luck at UPMC I went there for a consult. You have chosen the best now relax,they'll take care of the rest! Just think we'll be welcoming you to the world of Toasty-Posties! Ps.  if you work like I do you should be able to go back in a couple of days but just in case, follow the expert doctors...

You shall be in my thoughts (and prayers) all day Friday.

I join the others( in being modest) , it (providing heartfelt advice and a little comfort) is what we are here for!

Safe journey! You're almost there!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

rupert

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »
Just a walk in  the park Patrick.   :)  You have placed your treatment in the best hands out there.

Petrone

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:15 am »
Patrick,
Sending positive energy and thoughts your way for Friday! 
All the Best,
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

mesafinn

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »

Just a very quick and short note to let you know that I've received amazing care and all went well today.

I arrived into Pittsburgh on Wednesday, spent a good chunk of yesterday meeting with nurses, lab techs, interns, and doctors---and all went smoothly.

I got to the hospital at 6 a.m. (EST) and we started in right away.  There were harder parts that others (the helmet is uncomfortable but not particularly painful), and the simple version is that I'm finished with the GK procedure with what the doctor said was a textbook case---just what I would want!.  I'm resting in my room comfortably now, lots of goody juice for pain management, and we'll be leaving Pittsburgh tomorrow to return to Canada. 

I have the cold compresses that MK recommended---and the nurse said to put them on the pinsites and over my eye to avoid puffiness/becoming swollen.

Each and every one of you was there with me throughout the day....I had plenty of time to think during the various stages of procedure (lab work, MRI, waiting for "the team" to determine the gy dosages, and the actual GK moment.)

I was worried about how quiet it would be, but I was able to bring in my own CDs which helped considerably and was very consoling.  But I also thought of a particular moment I read about here:  someone had been waiting in the GK machine and yelled out, "It's okay, you can turn the machine on now."  And the tech replied that the procedure was almost already through.  It made me laugh then--and today.  Humor goes a long way to getting us through these moments!

I am very fortunate to have you in my life.

Just wanted you to know I'm doing great.   Here's hoping for tomorrow and tomorrow, too----and to each of you, good health, happiness, and lots of love in your lives.

P.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:18:16 pm by mesafinn »
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »
Patrick ~

Congratulations!  May your recovery be swift and uneventful.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jsanders1379

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
Glad everything went well..any other tips? (thanks for those about the music & compresses)
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

robinb

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 07:50:43 am »
Patrick-

You are probably on your way home now; thanks for the pics; my bet is you will be back to your old routines in a few days. So glad it went well.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Petrone

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Congrats!  And welcome to the post-toastie club.  Except for the minor pin complication, it sounds like everything went very well.  I am very happy and relieved for you.  Continued best wishes for a speedy recovery! 

All the best,
Petrone
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

mk

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »
I had the same pin complication that you described. It bled a lot after the frame removal. I felt it right from the beginning that something was wrong when they first placed the frame. This area was quite sore for some time afterwards, and even a bit numb.
I am glad you are feeling so good. Try to take it easy though, it is easy to overdo it when you feel so well, but then the fatigue can sneak up on you. Give your  body some time to rest and heal (take a nap or two ;))

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.