Author Topic: Swelling behind ear 18 years after Op - failed CFS repair?  (Read 2640 times)

JiroJiro

Swelling behind ear 18 years after Op - failed CFS repair?
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:57:27 pm »
I had an AN removal in 1995 followed by a CFS leak repair surgery a few weeks later. No hearing and left with a 'blind canal'. A couple of weeks ago, I developed an earache and thought it was an outer,ear infection. As it turned out, it was a swelling behind my ear - red and angry looking. Got bigger and was treated with IV antibiotics in hospital and is now smalled but not gone completely. Dr says the initial CFS repair might be breaking down and letting bugs through?? Has anyone had experience like this?  I have tried researching but not much success.  :(
24 mm Acoustic Neuroma (Left side)
Dr. Donald Jobbins (ENT) & Prof. Merry (neuro)
subtotal removal to preserve facial nerve
Sub occipital / Retrosigmoid surgery 8/95
SSD but no facial problems
No regrowth after 18 years

JiroJiro

Re: Swelling behind ear 18 years after Op - failed CFS repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »
Hello everyone & thank you for those of you who viewed my question! I thought I'd post an update as I think my case must be unusual? looking at the 0 replies.

What looked like just an abscess behind my ear was actually due to the breakdown of fat & other material used during AN op (sub occipital ) or CSF leak plug (middle ear obliteration ) that followed.

I understand that the breakdown of the material allowed for a minute hole to open from my nose, letting bacteria in and causing infection.  After the posting, I was in hospital for 1 week to have strong antibiotics administered by IV (my veins are now shot!) and then went to oral ones at home for 9 days.

I am now back in hopital after an OP yesterday.  They opened up at the original incision site to clean the mastoid and other areas up, bring down a vascularised flap to cover the area better.(I think!)

If I have more info after the Dr has been, I will write again but I thought I'd let you know what happened so far.....

As I wrote in the topic, my initial op was 18 years ago (when I was 32) and now I'm 50 so hopefully this one will be 'it'? I wondered if the fact that I was a younger patient and had faster metabolism (aaaah - those were the days!) had anything to do with it......

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »
JiroJiro ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing these problems so long after your initial AN surgery. 

Frankly, I've never read of this condition developing in AN surgery patients although very few of our forum members are 18 years post-op.  That being the case, I cannot offer any insight here - I doubt any of us can - and I suspect that is why your original post did not receive any response.  This is definitely an issue to be concerned about but one hopes that improved surgical techniques over the past 18 years have made this kind of problem rare. 

I hope this will be the last time you have to deal with this situation and of course, I wish you a complete recovery.  Thanks for your patience with us and please try to remain connected with the ANA discussion forums.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JiroJiro

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:55:28 am »
Thanks Jim!

I'm hoping that this is the last 'Reno' job I need too!

This Forum was not available when I first had my AN and I think it is a fantastic resource.
I live in Australia but I'm sure people here will find it very useful too.

I will keep in touch - I think any information we can share is great. Thank you to all who are involved in maintaining and moderating the site.