Author Topic: Bone popping in back of head  (Read 5813 times)

karascott

Bone popping in back of head
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:54 pm »
Hello everyone, it has been about three and half months since my surgery. I have one question to those that had their skull popped opened. I was told to start massaging my neck and incision by the physical Therapist because my incision has healed but keloid, and this should help the tightness feeling around my ear and in the head region above the ear. Today, I was massaging back and forth along the incision line and neck when I heard the bone popping or clicking. What the hell.  Also I was told by the surgeon to do this massage my neck especially.  Is this normal or should I be running to the ER. I have no pain.

P.S
No one told me I should have started massaging once my puffiness went away. 
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Bone popping in back of head
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:55 am »
Hi Kara .....

I've had two retrosigmoid surgeries and neither time did any surgeon/doctor tell me to begin massaging the area.

As to your bone popping/clicking, it probably is not serious since you had no pain, but I would certainly give Dr. Slattery or Schwartz a call just to make sure.  No sense worrying, is my motto when something like that happens.

Let us know what they said .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

karascott

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Ok, I spoke with doctor and she said that the clicking or popping is the Titanium plate  and when they cut the hole it is not a perfect square, so the plate and bone can rub or slip...so don't rub the back of my ear. Massage the bottom of the incision and neck. But the top of head above my head is tight.... I did not know I had a plate in my head.
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm

karascott

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:46:14 pm »
She told not worry If am not in great pain but...I am scared a little because no one else has seem have had this experience.
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:54 am »
Hi Kara .....

Since Drs. Slattery and Schwartz are both men, I am assuming to talked with one of their assistants, your physical therapist, or your PCP.  If you talked with an assistant, she has undoubtedly had this question before so knew the answer to tell you.  If one of the other possibilities, I'd still email one of the House docs for a definitive answer directly from them.

Hopefully someone else on here will respond to this thread and tell you their experience with something similar.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:25:01 am »
Hi, I share your concern cannot blame you for being worried I also have a problem with my incision but with different surgeons still not sure what happened with mine but the skull is not there and the screws are sticking out the incision opening is fairly large and I am scared cannot be normal  mine is sore and painful and this has been constantly for almost 4 years you know when you get salt in a wound and that pain that is how mine is does yours feel like that also? I guess not that bad if it has been 4 years for me but the fear of something hitting it is overwhelming I do need a helmet...haha...

Hoping when you speak to the surgeons they will be able to explain what is going on.

Good luck,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

karascott

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:32 am »
I spoke with their assistant. I will be seeking the ENT doc tomorrow. This all started because of the tightness feeling behind my hear and on top of my head. Someone said it could be due to my glasses and the healing process combined. The assistant said it is probably the neck muscles that are causing the problem. It is always something not Quite right.  You know Pat sometimes I feel like my head is deformed! I have this hump behind my ear that leads to some of my scull (I think) and then it just slopes off to an indent. Ladies, is this tightness normal behind the hear because it bothers me the most and will this go away?
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm