Author Topic: One year post op update...oh what a year!  (Read 5407 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
One year post op update...oh what a year!
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:30 am »
Hello all,

I'm on the home stretch this week for my one year AN surgery anniversary. This Saturday will be exactly one year since I closed my eyes and put my trust in two amazing surgeons at House...Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz. On April 27, 2012, after a long ten hour translab surgery, I woke up ready to begin my healing process. I walked out of the hospital three days later feeling like I had conquered the world. Boy was I in for a surprise. For those of you who know of me, you'll most likely remember my various posts throughout the year. I often checked in to give an upbeat report of my progress post op. In all my posts, I stayed on topic and simply reported the hurdles I have over come since my AN surgery.

However, I left out an important unrelated battle I was fighting as my body tried to heal from my AN surgery. I'll be brief here. One week after my AN surgery, I ended up in ICU for five days. They thought I was bleeding from my surgery, but it turned out I was in a hypercalcemia crisis. I don't remember much from that week and was told I was pretty sick. Turns out that my parathyroids had tumors on them (adenoids), so I needed to have them removed. I was too weak from surgery, so I had to wait a few months. In June, I had two adenoids and two parathyroids removed. The surgeon also removed a 2 cm nodule from my thyroid. Unfortunately, that came back cancerous.

I didn't find out about the cancer until a week later during my follow up. I never even expected to hear that I now had papillary carcinoma (2-3 rd stage) and I'd need another surgery. I would also be having my thyroid removed. I had dropped a lot of weight and was down to 153 lbs after my firt surgery. So I healed from my first neck surgery and brain surgery. I slowly returned to the gym and even took up bike riding. I started to gain weight and got a lot of my strength back, but I wasn't 100%. In Oct, I had a thyroidectomy and the cancer did not spread into my lymph nodes. YAY! So there was some hope. Actually, this was excellent news.

I just finished my radiation treatment last month and have been told that I'm now cancer free! I had my MRI scan a few months ago and there is no sign of the AN growing back. I just got a call from DR. Friedman last week and was told to get an MRI in two years. I have made a full come back after one year from my AN surgery. I really can't complain at all. I have SSD and some tinnitus. All my other post op symptoms have cleared up. I feel great!

As for my total health, I'm fit and have gained thirty pounds since my AN surgery. I go to the gym every day and lift weights just like i did before my surgery. I swim, SCUBA dive, just rode 75 miles on my bike, and hiked up Half Dome on my six month anniversary. I beat cancer, adenoids and a brain tumor. So after one year of fighting a few battles, I'm happy to say that life is back to being good again.

It's good to be reading updates on people who were having their surgeries about the same time I did last year. Good to hear from Clarice who often drops me a note to say hello. She's a good friend and very caring person. Well that's my one year report. I've managed to maintain a postivie attitude the entire year despite all the set backs. Attitude is definitely going to help you over come a lot of what AN will bring your way. Good luck to all of you who are just learning about your AN. And good luck to all of you in various stages of treatment.

It's great to be alive! I'll be celebrating my one year anniversary this Saturday in Texas with some of America's finest heros.

Take care.

Dave Cruz

Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: One year post op update...oh what a year!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:56 am »
Hey, Dave .....

So glad you posted your whole story here for others to read!  You have been an incredible inspiration to me with the way you have handled each stressor that entered your life in the past couple of years!!

So grateful you are back in the groove now and pursuing much more interesting things than health-related issues!!

Peace, my friend .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:16 am »
Congrats Dave on your one yr anniversary and successful recovery,, wonderful report.

I too had similar experience ; although not in same order ,,,, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2004, had thyroidectomy and parathyroid adenoma discovered and removed also,,,radiation treatment and cancer free 9yrs later,, as my Dr told me on diagnosis,, if you HAVE to get cancer,, thyroid is the second easiest to beat,,, congrats to both of us!! ;)

My AN was not diagnosed for 4 more yrs,, definitely more devastating news and much harder surgery/ recovery but had surgery in 2011 and moving on albeit a little different for the journey,,,

Best of luck for continued good health,, you have overcome much so far,, definitely a strong person,,Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:54:30 am »
Awesome!  Thanks for sharing, Dave, and I hope you now have many years with no more serious medical issues!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jsanders1379

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:37:48 am »
Wow! very inspiring story-thanks for sharing...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

Echo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:13:43 am »
Hi Dave,

Congratulations!!  I was diagnosed with my 1.8 cm AN a year ago. I am still doing research into treatment options and trying to work up my courage to pick a treatment and move forward.  I'm going to print out your 1 year update and read it whenever I have a rough day - it will more than put things in perspective and help me find the courage I need to keep my chin up!

Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes for continuing good health.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »
Dave ~

My congratulations to you for beating cancer and regaining your physical fitness and good health.  It tires me out just reading about your numerous physical activities e.g. a 75-mile bike ride!  :)

You're a perfect example of employing a positive, 'can-do' attitude along with excellent doctors and your own hard work to conquer serious health challenges. Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with those who can benefit the most from knowing that recovery is possible, albeit not always on our desired timetable.  May you continue to enjoy the good health you've worked so hard for.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

karascott

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
God bless you! I wish you a long Prosperous life.
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

kmr1969

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:58:12 am »
Hey Dave,

Congratulations on your two victories!

I will be at 6 months in a few weeks and I must admit that I am getting a bit frustrated with the numbness on my face and in my mouth, tiredness, and sometimes uncomfortable feelings in my head.  I kept telling myself at 3 months, or 4 months, or 5 months...that all of these 'challenges' would be resolved, but while I think they have all gotten better they are still there.

It is very encouraging to hear that after a year of quite amazing challenges, you are feeling great.  It definitely gave me renewed faith.

Thanks and best wishes,

Ken

2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »
Dave -

all I can say is wow, what a journey you've been on.

Sorry to hear all that you've been going through, but it sounds like you are incredibly strong and have persevered. 

Good for you!

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:33:50 am »
Dave-What a year you have had!  I feel very humbled for the times I have felt sorry for myself.
You are such a brave inspiration. You remind me perseverance is the most important spiritual strength.  That and hope.
Thank you and may God continue to bless you.
Millie

jamcats

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:40 pm »
Thank you for sharing your story! You're an inspiration!

neetze1

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:46:04 pm »
Oh what a year is right!  So glad you finally have this all behind you!  Wishing you all the best in life!
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan