Author Topic: Possible Newbie and need help  (Read 2846 times)

ellen124

Possible Newbie and need help
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »
Hi  I just found this site. I hope someone can help get thru this long weekend ahead of me.  My husband has recently been having ear/hearing symptoms that prompted me to bring him to my Ear Nose and Throat Doctor.  Since March he has been having hissing and ringing in his left ear with fullness. At first his the GP doctor brushed it off as a unresolved cold and gave him more antibiotics. However, it wasn't getting any better so I took him to my ENT.  I don't know I just had a gut feeling.  Anyway on Monday my hubby had a audio test which he well on the right ear on all aspects but on the left he did poorly on the high frequencies....it dropped way off on the paper on right side....  Then he took an ABR test and there was poor language morphology and poor response on Wave 5? My husband is 63 years old.  Now the doctor has order a MRI with gamalin dye.   The advice I am asking for is preparation..... what are the chances that the MRI is going to reveal a acoustic neuroma.

Also my husband has been suffering with headaches for the last year.  I just want to be prepared as my husband would rather not deal with things ....  I have just spent the last 3 years being a primary care taker to my older brother with stomach cancer. 

I greatly appreciate an input anyone can give me.  Thanks  Ellen

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Possible Newbie and need help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
Hi Ellen .....

So glad you posted your fears.  This group is very compassionate when people are fearing they, or a loved one, may have an acoustic neuroma.

Try to relax about all of this until you have the results from the MRI with contrast, which is the main way to determine the presence or not of an AN.  There are many other things that can cause tinnitus (ringing in the ears), as well as ear fullness and hearing loss.  I know it is not easy, but try not to assume it is an acoustic neuroma until after he has the MRI.  If it should happen to reveal one, we are here to support both of you through all treatment options, or watching and waiting, if that is indicated.

Many thoughts and prayers that you can be at peace with whatever the diagnosis may be.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi, Ellen ~

I'm glad you discovered the ANA website, specifically, the discussion forums. 

I'm sure you realize that no one can accurately predict what your husband's MRI will show but from the information you've offered, the chances of his having an acoustic neuroma are relatively good, although I hasten to add that there are other medical issues that can manifest similar problems (unilateral hearing loss, tinnitus, dizziness, headaches).

If the MRI indicates an acoustic neuroma is present, it will also show the size and configuration, both of which are critical in determining the treatment options.  Basically, microscopic surgery or non-invasive radiation.  Observation ('watch-and-wait') may be an option but with his symptoms, not one he is willing to try.  Those are issues his doctor will discuss with you both and frankly, until the MRI results are known, it is a bit premature to discuss them in any detail.   

Ironically, I was diagnosed with a large (4.5 cm) AN when I was the same age as your husband.  Surgery was the only option.  My tumor was 'debulked', it's blood supply severed and, 90 days later, radiated to destroy it's ability to re-grow.  That was in June, 2006.  Subsequent MRI scans showed tumor necrosis (cell death) and the beginnings of shrinkage.  My surgery went near-perfectly and my recovery was relatively rapid.  The radiation (FSR) was uneventful and successful.  Unfortunately, my procrastination in seeing a doctor (sound familiar?) caused me to lose all hearing in the affected ear.  I remain SSD (single side deaf) but have adjusted quite well, although it remains a mild impediment.  Other than the irretrievable hearing loss, my pre-diagnosis symptoms never returned.  Today, almost seven years later, I'm doing great.

One thing to keep in mind, if your husbands MRI shows an acoustic neuroma is present is that it is a benign tumor (99.9% of the time) that will not metastasize, meaning, it is non-cancerous - but still problematic.  Frankly, most doctors will tell a patient with an acoustic neuroma that it is the 'best kind of brain tumor to have'.

I suggest that neither you nor your husband do too much speculation until he undergoes the MRI scan and you know what you're dealing with - if anything.  Too much 'preparation' can generate unnecessary anxiety that neither one of you need right now.  Of course, should the MRI indicate an acoustic neuroma is present, we're here to offer information and support, 24/7.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ellen124

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:50 pm »
Thank you so much for your kind words..... yes I know we can't really know until the MRI. I just wanted to get a "ball park field" as to what I may be dealing with my husband. Just knowing that my gut feelings are normal --- is making all the differences for me.  I know that may sound a little crazy.... but being prepared for some unsettling news when you are the helper(caregiver, cheerleader) is very important.  You are the one who has to keep it together. So I appreciate your words and advice.  Thanks