Author Topic: Finding comfortable position one day post op  (Read 2780 times)

jamcats

Finding comfortable position one day post op
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:58 am »
My husband had surgery yesterday. No, I guess it's almost 4am, so 2 days ago now. He's in pretty bad pain at the right retro sigmoid incision site (and headache) and pain meds work for about an hour before he feels terrible and has to wait 5 hours for the next dose. We can't find a way to get him comfortable in bed and I'm writing to see if anyone has suggestions since no one currently at the hospital does.
We keep talking about how the first 3 days are supposed to be terrible, but that doesn't mean we can't do everything we can to make it a little better.

Any suggestions for good positions?

Or for ways you enjoyed being distracted when you're in too much pain to sleep? He already did some vision exercises, figuring it couldn't make him feel worse... :-)

Thanks in advance!

timreeves

Re: Finding comfortable position one day post op
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »
I had surgery two weeks ago on Tuesday (Translab at Vanderbilt by Dr. Wanna and Weaver) and I found that the best position was sitting up (or reclining) in the recliner.  I moved from the bed in ICU to the recliner in a regular room and never got in the bed again.  Hope this helps!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:14:53 pm »
The first 3 days are awful.  After that when you can move better, just getting up and moving helps.  Unfortunately lying down for few weeks will bring on pain......the recliner is the best.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ewchisek

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:44:22 pm »
When I came home from the hospital my mother in law bought me one of those pillows that is like a something a little child could sit and watch tv with. It has big pillowy cushion and two side arms for support, I don't know what they are called...but it really helped keep me comfy for the first two weeks at home. Now my little boys live to use it :) hope he is doing better as each day passes!

mk

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »
I found that the travel pillow (the one that you keep around the neck) was very helpful during the first few days.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

chance1212

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »
Pretty sure they gave me morphine. I never felt pain except for the headwrap--which was so tight that I still have scars from it at almost 6 months post op. Hope his recovery gets better.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »
In the initial few days I couldn't move myself, I remember if I had been put on my right side by the nurse I was uncomfortable and couldn't sleep, funny enough I was most comfortable lying on the surgical side! If he is in too much pain to sleep maybe his pain medication isn't effective and that should be looked at. Hope things get better, sleep in very important to recovery.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jamcats

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:49 am »
Thanks for all your suggestions! We keep trying different positions and sometimes we find one that works for a bit. It's true, getting up and about seems to be the best, but finding a good sleeping position is still elusive...