Author Topic: Tumor growth/symtoms related to head trauma  (Read 4185 times)

mike

Tumor growth/symtoms related to head trauma
« on: June 02, 2005, 03:50:10 am »
Any one out there like me suffering from a AN found due to a head injury?  Visited the AN patients archive and found quite a few that primarily discovered the tumor subsequent to head trauma (i.e. whiplash, sports injury, auto accident, etc.).  Trouble is there's no way to speak to them and get their input.  Doctors in Dallas told me that you could have one of these tumors for years and not know it until being struck in the head followed by rapid on-set of AN symtoms, which represents my case in point.

Any help/comment would be appreciated.

Raydean

Re: Tumor growth/symtoms related to head trauma
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 02:48:09 pm »
My tumor was also discover due to a accident which included a broken left leg,
right arm injury and hitting the back of my head with force  I was knocked to the ground by roofing material.  The accident was not caused by my tumor.  From the point of the accident to the day of discovery, a time period of 6 weeks i became increasingly symptomatic which the doctors placed on "concussion" and "post trauma concussion". 

I was told after the fact that my body had accomodated the tumor well. the tumor was slow growing allowing for my body to adjust to it.  There was a balance between my body and the tumor.  The accident undid the balance which it could not regain, which caused me to go into a decline and become symptomatic.  Due to the size of the tumor odds were that within 6 months I would of became symptomatic had the accident not occurred.

Interestingly enough many people have stated "Thank God for the accident"  which I found odd.  The accident clouded the issues, by the time the tumor was discovered I was immediately hospitalized  for hydrocephalus. Had the symptoms occurred without the accident it is my belief that the doctors would of taken action  much sooner then they did.

Mike, please feel free to contact me off list
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DetSgt224

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 08:21:56 pm »
Hi Mike,

Mine was found when I went in to see why I had such severe hearing loss in one ear.  I had a mild concussion in 2001 following a motorcycle accident, but my doc said the tumor started growing long before that.  As far as I can tell, nobody knows why these things occur.

Travis
3cm An
Surgery 6/7/05

mike

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:44:39 pm »
How true.  Joking with the doctor back before the surgery I likened this unto putting a rock down next to the tumor.  The one that finally grows is the tumor!  HA!  The doctor admitted that some people could have had these things (AN) back when they were kids and they are just now manifesting themselves.  Due to my past medical history of this matter I am doing as much research as possible into this particular type of incident, meaning the head trauma followed by the rapid onset of AN symtoms.  I found quite a few people on the AN patients archive, but there's no way to contact them for more specific information.

bluestar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 11:16:07 pm »
My father hit me on that side of the head when I was aged between 6 and 12. This would happen about 3 or 4 times a year. I had buried this memory and it only emerged after the surgery. I asked my ENT surgeon whether this abuse had caused the tumour and he said no. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this type of experience - but i wonder about whether it was the cause  still.

I was 57 when they discovered the tumour but I remember having directional hearing loss and balance issues ongoing from about 22 years earlier.

I hope this is of some help.

Bluestar
bluestar

mike

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 12:39:45 am »
Yes, I understand.  It gets to me how on one hand doctors refuse to say WHAT actually causes the tumors yet on the other hand make remarks like those to you.  Sure makes you wonder though, huh?

Thanks bluestar.  Best of luck to you & feel free to spread my name around others you may know in a simular fix as I.

gloria

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 08:52:18 am »
My husband talks so loud that my ear would do numb and my ear would go deaf. Long before I found out I had the tumor. I was just thinking that it was a way my body was protecting my ear by producing the tumor around it.