Author Topic: facial neuroma INSIDE facial nerve  (Read 2485 times)

nicole saltsman

facial neuroma INSIDE facial nerve
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
Hey, I'm a newbie here. I tried to post before, but I don't think it worked. Anyway, I just had my first follow up appointment on May 31st. I spoke with my one neurosurgeon and found out what had occurred during my surgery (I was so medicated in the hospital that I don't remember much of what anyone said lol). Long story short, it was discovered that I had a facial neuroma. They tried to remove it, but had to leave a little. I guess my tumor was in the facial nerve itself, and was sort of spilling out. He described it as scooping out an orange and having to leave behind the rind. I can't find much or really anything about a tumor being inside the facial nerve itself. Has anyone had this? My surgeons differ as to whether I should simply be monitored via MRIs or whether I should undergo radiation. I'm trying to look to the future to avoid dwelling on my sucky post-surgery facial paralysis and SSD. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

nftwoed

Re: facial neuroma INSIDE facial nerve
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
Hello;
   My feeling would be to simply observe this and have another MRI 1 year after the op.
   Mine did arise from the acoustic nerve, wrapped around the vestibular and reattached to the facial. When they tried removing it from the facial nerve, a bleed commenced. Surgeons decided to cauterize the remaining tumor right atop the nerve. I had facial weekness for 2 or 3 years, but am OK now.

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »
Nicole, your first post is in the AN Issues topic, to see it and the replies you can go to that topic or click on the SHOW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS under the Hello Nicole at the top of the page.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:28:24 am »
Hi Nicole, Jill Marie is correct. Here is the link to your first post.  BTW, welcome!  Phyl

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18831.msg979754214#msg979754214

Nicole, your first post is in the AN Issues topic, to see it and the replies you can go to that topic or click on the SHOW REPLIES TO YOUR POSTS under the Hello Nicole at the top of the page.  Jill Marie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"