Author Topic: Results from 6 month follow up MRI for radiated AN  (Read 3048 times)

gremmie

Results from 6 month follow up MRI for radiated AN
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »
Hello All
Yesterday I had my 6 month follow up MRI.  I had my AN (3mmx5mm) radiated using the stereotactic Linear Accelerator December 27, 2012.  I did have an interim MRI in February since I was having major issues and they wanted to be cautious.  The February MRI showed a swelling to 3mmx11mm which concerned my neurotologist.  The MRI yesterday showed a "subtle growth" calculated in size to be 3mmx12mm which to me is terrific since it obviously has stabilized with the associated size possibility attributed to swelling and the radiation field.  Could it be that yesterdays measurement by the neuroradiologist might have been borderline on the growth side and they called it subtle based on a fine line interpretation?

Both the Feb and yesterdays MRI showed it all white which concerns me but reading other post I believe that each AN reacts differently regarding necrosis.

Hopefully there might be some comments by others that might have an opinion based on the information above.

My dizziness and vertigo seems to be getting a lot better with the help of VOR and VNR exercises and maybe the stabilization....

diagnosed 5mm AN, radiated 12/27/12 SRS
Ct 3/27/13 11mm
Dizziness and balance issues

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Results from 6 month follow up MRI for radiated AN
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

Yesterday I had my 6 month follow up MRI.  I had my AN (3mmx5mm) radiated using the stereotactic Linear Accelerator December 27, 2012.  I did have an interim MRI in February since I was having major issues and they wanted to be cautious.  The February MRI showed a swelling to 3mmx11mm which concerned my neurotologist.  The MRI yesterday showed a "subtle growth" calculated in size to be 3mmx12mm which to me is terrific since it obviously has stabilized with the associated size possibility attributed to swelling and the radiation field.  Could it be that yesterdays measurement by the neuroradiologist might have been borderline on the growth side and they called it subtle based on a fine line interpretation?

A 1mm difference in measurement can be easily explained by the slightest variation in the "slice" that the MRI takes while it's doing its thing. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Both the Feb and yesterdays MRI showed it all white which concerns me but reading other post I believe that each AN reacts differently regarding necrosis.

You're right. Necrosis might not show up at exactly the 6 month mark. You'll probably see it at the 1 year MRI.

And the shrinkage is unlikely to be visible until the 2 year MRI.

My dizziness and vertigo seems to be getting a lot better with the help of VOR and VNR exercises

That's to be expected.

My balance was already showing mild improvement just prior to GK because the other side already had a year to start compensating and I've had even more improvement since GK.

My 6 monthiversary is July so I'll probably have my MRI at the end of July or in August and I'll post the results in my Death to ALF thread.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:35:58 pm »
Many smaller tumours never go black in the middle. The enhancement stays the same.
The most important MRI is the 2 Year and the 3 Year MRI where the tumour size will remain stable or shrink
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Nannybee

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:47:21 pm »
Gremmie - I agree with Jack. The size of the slices can make a change in interpretation as can different sets of eyes viewing the films. I'll be interested to follow your progress since my treatment was also LINAC and am just at the 2 month point and starting to have increased fatigue, wonkiness, louder tinnitus and worse balance. good luck!
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

rupert

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:09:44 pm »
6 months is way too early to know if the treatment has been successful or not.   Remember that the radiation does it's thing over a period of many years,  even ten years down the road.  You would need to see a pattern of growth over time in many MRI's. That would show a pattern.  Some swell at first and some don't, and as said before that there are many variables.  In my case, the radiologist over the last 5 scans has said the AN is the same size.  The neurosurgeon on the other hand says it is smaller every time.  It may just be the machine.  Time will tell of course, but remember there is a very high percentage  that your treatment will be successful.