Author Topic: hyperacusis (being bothered by sound)  (Read 9236 times)

prisca

hyperacusis (being bothered by sound)
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
Do any of you find noise annoying?  I'm pre treatment, and I need to wear ear plugs to exercise class because of the music volume, etc.  I haven't heard any mention of this as a a symptom of AN, and I'm just curious if it might be related.

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Re: hyperacusis (being bothered by sound)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
I do but  attributing my problem with very noisy places to being deaf in one ear.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »
I definitely have this-sometimes noises like plates clattering ,while unloading the dishwasher, can be downright painful....
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
Do any of you find noise annoying?

Hyperacusis.

That explains a lot. I must have had that condition while I was married. I often found the sound of my ex-wife's voice very annoying.

::)

Kidding aside, here are some resources about Hyperacusis.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hyperacusis
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:25 am »
Yes I do find excessive noise very irritating and distracting, funny when I could hear with both ears I didn't! I have a lot of problems at work, the nursing station is always a buzz and some of my coworkers spend more time in there socializing loudly, I find it very difficult to get my paperwork completed (can't concentrate). I have been to occupational health about the issue, needless to say their suggestions were of no /little help.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

prisca

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:26 am »
I wear ear plugs to exercise class.  I can't wear the ear plugs you put into the ear canal they make me dizzy, but the silicon kind that you wear on the outer ear knock off about 20 dB which takes the edge off but I can still talk to people with them on.  I'm reminded of one of my hearing impaired students who was in the habit of turning his hearing aids off during independent reading time so he could concentrate better.  However, he didn't tell his teacher that he did so.  She kept telling me that she thought his hearing was getting worse until I clued her in that he would sometimes turn them off.  I've always thought ears should come with earlids so  you could close them sometimes like you do with eyelids.

phantagrae

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »
As an orchestral musician, in the woodwind section, I've wondered about hearing damage due to sitting in front of loud brass instruments most of the time.  There have been times when I have felt an actual puff of air against the back of my head when a trombone player came in on a very loud note.
But I never experienced it as pain, specifically.  I can't really wear common earplugs while playing as they interfere with my ability to hear other instruments clearly and they increase the sound inside my head, which makes it even more difficult to hear others and creates kind of a false version of one's sound (tone, intonation, etc.)

I know there are special earplugs out there, made for musicians, but most of us kind of just get by without them.

Anyway, back in 2010 I had a gig where I was sitting next to the principal clarinet player (he was to my right) and he had a solo on an E-flat clarinet, kind of like the piccolo of the clarinet family, and he had a very high, very loud note at one point.  When he played it in rehearsal, I felt it like an ice pick in my right ear--an actual physical pain that really startled me as I've never felt anything like that before.

Then after that weekend I began noticing a stuffy feeling in my right ear--like I would "feel" sound like pressure and my ear felt like I needed to pop my ear, or like it was plugged up.  I don't know if that was related to the AN or not.  My PCP doc felt it was a blocked eustachian tube or something and I did seem to get some relief from over the counter decongestants.
Since then that stuffy feeling kind of comes and goes, but my right ear does often feel like it won't clear completely, but I haven't had the level of "stuffiness" I had that summer.

Now, my hearing tests in April were very good and my hearing is essentially normal in my right ear, with the exception of a minor loss of high frequencies, and I had 100% word recognition.
The only odd thing is that louder sounds, like a high, loud trumpet note, or higher-pitched singing voices or the full choir in choir practice, make my right ear kind of "overload"--like my ear is a cheap speaker with the sound turned up too loud.

I assume that's related to the AN.  I know that when I had the word recognition part of the hearing test for my right ear, I asked the technician to turn the volume down a little bit when she was checking the settings just before the test.  When her voice was coming over the headphones, I felt like I was starting to get that "cheap speaker" crackle, and when she turned the volume down it wasn't as bad, and I was still able to hear the word recognition recording.

But listening to my iPod or using headphones with my iPad doesn't bother me at all, and I don't have the sound turned down low or anything, so...
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

jsanders1379

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:53 pm »
I play in an orchestra,too (cello) & we have constant problems with seating re: near or in front of the brass...we're actually having a special rehearsal in August just to try different seating arrangements...it really is a worry, as you are right about not being able to hear yourself with the earplugs. I'm worried about losing more hearing than what I've lost with the AN, but want to keep playing.
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm

phantagrae

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:57:01 pm »
We got a new conductor a couple of years ago and he rearranged the orchestra a bit (for most concerts), so that the horns are behind the 2 woodwind rows (much better than trumpets and trombones!) and the Trbs and Tpts are in the "corner" to the left of the WWs (from the stage point of view.
The violas are on the front edge of the stage, opposite the 1st vlns, and the cellos are on the inside--therefore they do get the brunt of the Tbns & Tpts, but there's generally a little more distance there.
I know that some orchestras use plexiglass baffles in front of the brass, but I don't know if that makes that much difference.  Our brass are on risers, so they're up a little bit from the floor, where most of the cellos are, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference, either.

I did read an article about the different kinds of musician earplugs and which musicians should use which kinds of plugs--and I think they all allow some sound.  I don't know what they feel like while playing, though.
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")

prisca

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »
Once at a Philadelphia Orchestra performance they had clear plastic things that looked kind of like music stands to block the noise from the ears of the people in front of them.  I can't remember what they were playing, but it must have been something heavy on the brass.

jsanders1379

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:58:36 pm »
Thanks all...we wanted the baffles, but were told they were cost-prohibitive....hmmm  what's our hearing worth???
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm

phantagrae

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:41:28 pm »
Thanks all...we wanted the baffles, but were told they were cost-prohibitive....hmmm  what's our hearing worth???

Are you a union orchestra?  In some cases there might be a way to appeal such an issue.

I don't know that the issue has ever been raised here.  I'm ambivalent because I wonder if it doesn't alter the balance, and just make the brass play louder or whatever.
Because the brass and percussion are always going to be in the back of the orchestra, someone is always going to have to sit in front of them...
MRI 4/15/13

jsanders1379

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:20 pm »
I play in an all volunteer community orchestra,,,so no union... my "crazy" idea is to have the brass on either end of stage front facing the audience (I maintain they can still see the conductor peripherally)... :)
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm

phantagrae

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:56:07 pm »
I play in an all volunteer community orchestra,,,so no union... my "crazy" idea is to have the brass on either end of stage front facing the audience (I maintain they can still see the conductor peripherally)... :)

In that position, they'd probably make it impossible for the audience to hear anything else...
MRI 4/15/13

jsanders1379

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
 :) that's the whole idea...get them to play SOFTER!
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm