Author Topic: Fired from job?  (Read 6829 times)

rntiggergirl

Re: Fired from job?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 02:29:26 pm »
Hi-
I would just call HR tomorrow and ask them if your status has changed. After you get that answer then and only then can you plan your next steps. FMLA (family medical leave act) protects your actual job for 12 week, then they must offer you a similar job if available at the time you return, I don't believe there is a guarantee of employment at that time under the law,  but I am not sure.  All of this is contingent on the statement, "if this does not impose significant financial hardship for the company".  Also they do have to offer you cobra, however that correspondence will not come directly from your employer, it will come from another company hired to handle the cobra benefits and this can take several weeks.  Anyway I think you may be getting ahead of yourself and need to just contact HR tomorrow and ask specific questions: What is my current status? Have I been terminated? and go from there.  Unfortunately this process does not always work quickly and you may have been tipped of early by your boss.

Best of luck!
Cheryl V.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 09:36:46 am »
BP,  Keep us posted on what you find out. I wouldn't think they could get away with it in this manner.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 09:46:04 am »
I know after the 12 weeks they don't have to have the same position for me to come back to and it's been longer than the twelve weeks.  I returned for 10 hours a week the school year ended and what they offered me to come back to the doctor said no and put me back on leave.  So juts unsure of my status and my rights.  Seems to me if they terminated me they would at least have to send me a letter and offer me cobra. 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 09:57:01 am »
cobra at a minimum, and if they let you go, I would think it would quailify you for unemployment or perhaps, it they state they let you go due to your medical difficulties,  disability benifits. I have been reading they are hard to come by, I have considered looking into disability. I keep trying to find something else I can do from home. 
Good Luck
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 11:18:16 am »
Batty,
  Be sure to check out their Long Term Leave policies.  It may be called someting slightly different( Long Term Medical Leave?), it varies by employer.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:38:36 pm »
I'm on long term leave provided for by the company as a benefit.  They are continuing to pay my benefits and will until nov of 07.  I'm trying to get on ssd but we all know how that process is :o(  I'm also looking at what I can do from home since neither option is enough money to survive and stay in my house.  Save your cardboard boxes I might need em'!  ;D

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 05:39:33 am »
BP,
I'm keepin you in my prayers.  I think you have a handle on what is going on with your company.  I would definately forwarded copies of anything they send you to SSD.  Or your attorney for SSD if you have one.  They update the cases constantly.  A friend of mine was in the same part of the process as I am in..denied, then reconsideration..denied..first appeal...wait.  She got approved before her hearing.  She sent them a copy of every time she went to the doctor and all her meds every time they changed.  My doctor put me on 750 mg Depakote ER yesterday.  Up from 500.  My friend says that is what changed everything for her and I didn't ask for it.  Don't think it helps yet but we will find out soon.  Prayers and hugs, BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT