Author Topic: Going on a job interview - how much of my health do I reveal?  (Read 4751 times)

Chances3

Hi All,

Well I've started two new posts this week, I haven't started a new post in many years.  My company is in trouble, and I need to see "what's out there".  I am almost 3 years post op, but I never fully recovered.  My ear works, but is muffled, a hearing aid didn't seem to help.  My balance is good, but I still have terrible wonky days.  Although my vertigo attacks seem to have gone away, I still struggle with near misses, which causes me to get off my desk to recover.  Having said all that, I'm afraid to go on job interviews and tell a perspective employer " I had a brain tumor, and these are my permanent issues".  I don't think any of my issues except for hearing will interfere in my over all performance.  I am a little worried about getting my dizzy spells and having to move away from my screens and desk.  My current employer understands, but I'm not sure how a new employer would.

AN Community please weigh in on this.  Should it be buyer beware, or do I tell prospective employers everything?

Thanks.

nftwoed

Re: Going on a job interview - how much of my health do I reveal?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:52 am »
Hello;
   This case, I am a "buyer beware" person. We afflicted tend to lose our self confidence. Some times, unnecessarily so.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:48 pm »
Should it be buyer beware, or do I tell prospective employers everything?

I worked in the corporate world for 45 years until I retired.

My take on it is this: My health is none of my employer's f*****g business.

If you qualify for the job, get the job.

Something comes up later, the worst they can do is fire you and then you go on unemployment and/or use the Americans With Disabilities Act for a wrongful termination lawsuit.

The corpies will use you up and spit you out on their whims. Why give them something else to stir the pot with.

Bottom line, the minute you tell a prospective employer about your condition, you are guaranteed not to get the job. And the employer's documentation will be subtle and have nothing to do with your condition. They'll cover their butts.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:30 pm »
If you want to be 100% honest, and have 100% integrity.

If your company is in trouble, chances are that they will understand that you are looking for another job.
It could well be that they are willing to let you go on good terms to avoid a redundancy payment.
Ask them for a reference that includes your illness, that you have made a good recovery and that it does not currently impact on your work.

I am not sure what the US employment laws are like, probably similar to Australia in some respects.
Employees cannot provide false statements in their resume. That includes lying through omission.
Health problems that impact your work, you must declare to the prospective employer.

One option is to get a medical, and if it is deemed that your medical condition will not impact on your work and you have a clean bill of health you do not have to declare your condition.

I would suggest that you would probably pass.

I currently employ 50 people and have probably employed over 300 people in the last 25 years.
If I saw that on a resume it would raise alarm bells. It means you perceive this as a handicap, whether real or not.
If you perceive this to be a problem, therefore it is. Its probably time to move to your next level of healing which means mentally putting this episode in your life behind you.

Do ask yourself does this really impact on my work performance in comparison to the next person who suffers from, chronic migraine, vertigo, or smokes, depression, bipolar, heavy recreational drug user, borderline alcoholic, etc.... You are probably far better and much less risk, and I bet the people above would not put that in their resume.

Personally as an employer... I would leave it out. I think it would unfairly prejudice your chances of employment and your condition is minor. Would I care if I found out.. probably not, as long as it didn't affect your work in a major way.
If I need to performance manage you because of your AN symptoms yes I would be annoyed, and grumpy that it was not declared.

Most people come with baggage... as an employer we get that. Many people will not understand what an AN is and just hear brain tumour....therefore brain is defective...

Your tumour is done with, you would most likely pass a medical from an AN perspective. You don't need to tell them if you pass the medical, and they have no right to know.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:15:10 pm by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
Bob ~

The Americans With Disabilities Act prohibits a prospective employer from asking you about past illnesses or operations so you are under no obligation to volunteer that information. 

Your AN surgery was almost three years ago and although you mention an occasional moment of disequilibrium, it's not as if you have a chronic disease or condition that may interfere with your work.  In an office environment, infrequent bouts of dizziness should not be a real problem.

The job market is tight, competition is tough and you don't need to handicap your prospects by bringing up something that is not truly relevant to your employment and that you are under no legal obligation to reveal.  My opinion is to forgo mentioning your AN surgery or the dizzy episodes during job interviews and deal with them if and when they occur.  Good luck in your job search!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:13 pm »
Since you are asking I most heartily concur with Jim here. In today's market it is hard enough to look for work. You are not obligated to reveal anything.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

kixit

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:49:37 pm »
Great information posted here! I too am facing a new career due to my balance issues.
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

New girl

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 11:47:09 am »
I agree with not disclosing the medical info.  I know several people with severe debilitating migraines so they often need to call is sick quite a bit.  They do not mention this when interviewing.  I would put that in the same category as vertigo attacks since with both you may need to stay home or keep away from a computer.  Good luck interviewing!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Chances3

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »
Thank you everyone for the advice, particularly Jim's advice on the America With Disabilities Act.  The interview was very informal, we went to a restaurant sat at the bar and had a drink.  The prospective employer ended up sitting on my muffled ear side - not good.  I had to wing it a few times, being polite and asking again.  I am not much of a drinker, at least post op AN.  It definitely wasn't like the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire ha-ha.

Thanks All !!

rachelnyc

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
I agree with Jim.

I received a new job offer the same week I was diagnosed with my AN. To secure the position, I had to tell them "something", but I didnt get into the details. AND never mention the "B" word. Its stigmatic and permanent. Say as little as you can, while at the same time share some honesty (when and if your symptoms occur).

Best of luck out there!
Left AN 2.5 cm
4 sudden hearing loss episodes with fullness and dizziness since 2008
Retrosigmoid 1/9/13 NYU Golfinos & Roland
Complete tumor removal but have SSD, facial palsy, external eye-lid weight (Blink-eze)