Author Topic: SSD Technology?  (Read 7799 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
SSD Technology?
« on: September 03, 2006, 04:32:06 pm »
Just wondering how many people on this forum have pursued, or intend to pursue, a "solution" to SSD via the BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) or some type of cross aid technology. Nate's comments on the Phonak Cross Link have piqued my interest. Although I'm self-employed and work at home (when I can work?) I find myself avoiding such things as social situations, walking my dog on my one-lane dirt mountain road, and going to concerts as a direct result of my SSD (and I really think the "hearing preservation rates" reported by the docs are exaggerated, but don't get me started on THAT one.) One of the things I'm looking forward to at the Symposium in Philly is getting to test-drive a few of these thingies.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Laura

Re: SSD Technology?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:30:09 pm »
Stupid question... what is SSD?
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:39:37 pm »
Single-sided deafness.  Not a dumb question.  Only the ones we don't ask are dumb!
BrendaO
Deb,
I avoid social situations, loud places, too many people at my home at once, lots of things that didn't bother me at all.  When is the thing in Philly?  I need something....I hate beating myself up over something I didn't ask for and don't want to live with.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 07:48:38 pm »
I have a little block of plastic that comes with the BAHA that it "plugs" into ... and one holds the BAHA against your head .. and voila! sound... it lets others try the BAHA .. I'll bring to the Symposium if I go and to our brunch at Maxwells.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

KenJen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:07:42 pm »
Ken and I are seeing the doctor on Friday to talk about the Baha, they will let him wear the device on a head band over the week end and test drive it.  We hope that it will be something worth going through another surgery for, we have lots of questions.  I'll let you know how it goes. Jeanie
Translab - House 7/17/06
No facial problems but post and pre surgery  chronic dry eye in both eyes

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:18:21 pm »
Brendalu--The ANA Symposium is next summer--should be more on the ANA Website (Click on logo in upper right of screen)
Capt Deb 8)

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:38 pm »
I'm waiting on clearance (hoping it comes this week) from the ENT to let me get tested/processed, whatever they call it, for the cross.  I don't think I could handle the baha very well.  I don't like to wear hats so can't imagine something screwed into my head.  Will be interesting to find out since like everyone else I hate being out in public places.  I've almost walked out in front of cars a few times..can't hear them and if I turn my head to look I fall down :o(

Brendalu..no question is a bad question except the one not asked.  SSD stands for single sided deafness and social security disablity depending on which thread you're on :o) :-*

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 08:37:21 pm »
SSD also stands for "Sweet Sassy Diva" right, Batty? But we won't go there on this thread!
Capt Deb 8)

matti

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 08:44:31 pm »
I wish they would sell the test band. I tried it for a week and while it was not same sound quality as an implant, I found it helpful.  I am not a candidate for the BAHA due to extreme head sensitivity. In fact my sunglasses and reading glasses all have a missing arm.

I  remember putting on the test band for the first time, with a plug in my good ear and could hear my husband talking to me on my bad side. A very emotional moment :'(  

I did e-mail Entific asking if I could buy one, and they said "not at this time".  My audiologist says the same. I am sure they are very expensive and my insurance probably wouldn't cover it.

I also avoid many social situations. I find it distressing and heck of alot of work. I do however go to rock concerts. (but I always wear protection)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

tony

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 12:35:46 am »
Just in case it needs saying, the fundamental weakness for those with SSD
is that they/I/we cannot easily tell where sound is coming from
it follows that roads/carparks/trains or any traffic situations are quite dangerous
- you might hear the car that runs you down - But you didnt work out
a) it was behind you and b) it was approaching quickly
Equally, the car driver wont assume you cant hear him......
Some say the BAHA improves the sense of sound for direction/proximity,
perhaps some of the BAHA operators on the list could confirm/deny
Best Regards
Tony

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 05:31:47 am »

I would say the BAHA does not help with direction .. at least with nerve deafness , if anything it makes it worse ... I used be able to spin my head .. and based of the loudness if the sound, take a good guess of direction .. with the BAHA on .. I have sound it all directions!, so spinning does not help!  I've read if you have good working inner ears, but bad outer ear (bad eardrum etc..) .. and get the BAHA it DOES get you direction ablity .. overall I like the BAHA .. if you are a "gadgit" person  and are not vane about you looks ( I've gotten strange looks from people because they dont know what it is!) , I dont have anything in my ears, with long hair you can realy hide it .. but cant wear a hat with it ..(when fishing etc, I leave the BAHA home anyway).  I home a I don't always wear it (because I lie on the coach on that side while watching TV) but it the office at work I really like it ... no more huh? can you say that again .. and I can go to a meeting and no worry about where I sit ...

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

rntiggergirl

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 02:10:40 pm »
Hi
I have a BAHA and have had it for 2 years.  I really like it and think it helps.  It gets better with time especially the directional hearing. Its like my brain is learning to distinguish the different sounds and attach it to that side.  However, large group social outing are still difficult, I think it is just noise overload on the system and my brain.  My brain is trying to determine sound but also balance which is difficult when in a situation with multiple distractions.  I have become more comfortable in social situation and try to place myself in a way to maximize my hearing,  the people that know me understand my movements, but those that don't give me strange looks but that really does not bother me.  I think part of it is just getting out there in social situations so that your brain can start to adapt to situations,  the brain is an amazing thing.  I am glad I have my baha and would do it again, the surgery is very short (30min). I had mine with just local anesthesia because I did not want to be put out again,  the sound was strange but it really did not hurt. 

Good luck
Cheryl

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:33:46 am »
Good morning to everyone. I'm a newbie to this board, and before I post my reply let me announce up front that I'm G.M. of Ear Technology Corp, manufacturer of the TransEar bone conduction hearing aid, released late last year. I've noted a number of posts related to CROS aids and BAHA, but no mention of TransEar. Capt. Deb's post about pursuing a solution to SSD was one of many that leads me to believe members of ANA are not aware that TransEar exists. It is approved by the FDA exclusively for unilateral hearing loss, it does not occlude the good ear (since the oscillator sits in the dead ear), and it is non-surgical. It can be fit by any audiologist who can take deep canal impressions, and it has a trial period like air conduction hearing aids have. Our web site, www.transear.com, has more information, as well as a video shot by an Albany, NY TV station. It's of an AN patient who was the first to be fit with a TransEar, and it should be very enlightening to members of this board. I'll be pleased to field any questions on or off list, and I hope members will see this post as informative rather than spam.

Obita

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 06:56:43 am »
Very interesting.  How afordable is it?  Because it is an aid, most of our insurance cos will not pay for it.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 07:10:11 am »
TransEar is typically priced like a high-end digital hearing aid (which it is, except for the oscillator part that we call the transfer unit), and that will vary from area to area and audiologist to audiologist. You are probably correct that insurance is not likely to pay for TransEar here in the U.S., at least for now.