Author Topic: Testing & Surgery  (Read 4512 times)

Derika

Testing & Surgery
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:15:32 am »
Hello all.... I am recently going through testing and meeting my doctors that are doing my surgery at U of M. They all seem very nice and agree on the process how to go about it. My surgery date is 8/19 but before then I have several more tests to do and I am wondering if anyone else has had to do these tests or not, if so what is the purpose? I have already had a MRI now a CATSCAN, Balance, Brainstem, physical therapy, PreopHistory and physical are all scheduled before the surgery. I keep forgetting to ask the dr what the purpose is when I am already doing surgery and getting the surgical procedure done where its the "C" behind your ear... I forget the name. I am very nervous and can't think straight from so much going on. On top of dealing with the dizziness and ringing in my right ear. Only a few more weeks lefts to go so I hope for some answers to these tests soon. Thanks ahead of time!

Pam Fraley

Re: Testing & Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:15 am »
Derika,

Thanks for your note yesterday.  I'll send you a PM tonight but I wanted to answer your question quickly before my nephew gets dropped off.  I'm watching a 2 year old today so I'll be quite busy.  Your surgery is trans lab.  I believe the tests are so that the doctors have a more accurate idea of what has been affected by the tumor so far.  Dr. Arts already ran a CT scan on my second visit to compare with my MRI.  Evidently it gives a different view.  He explained it to me but I don't remember the details.  I had an ABR to see if the nerve was sending the message to the brain.  I had the VNG (balance test) to see if it was affecting the balance part of the nerve (this was actually done by my ENT prior to seeing Dr. Arts).  The hearing tests are because they want to see how much hearing you have left, etc.  Well, I need to go for now.

Take Care!

Pam
6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
8-9mm meningioma (right cavernous sinus)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI
Wait & Watch -  Dr. Arts, University of Michigan
MRI scheduled for 10/22/2013
No change, continue w&w, repeat MRI in 6months

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:33 am »
Hi;
   CT, which displays bone better, may show increased widening of the IAC, Internal Auditory Canal from the presence of an AN. Dr. is double checking himself. Good! Not all, or even the majority ( I believe ) will order both tests prior to a surgical resection.
   Derica; I'm unsure what you mean by "brain stem" test.
   Best wishes on your impending op! You'll do fine, though I don't see the AN size listed or type of surgical approach.

Derika

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:40:34 am »
TransLab is the surgery and I didn't think of the CT showing a different view I guess. I don't remember how big the tumor is they said about the size of a M&M but the neurosurgeon said its a unusual shape as it is oblong and not circular and he said it is growing into the bone or close to it by the looks of the MRI. Pam, I am curious as to how the vestibular test went. Did it make you really dizzy? I am dizzy now! I was planning on staying at a friends house for my apts down that way and driving myself. The paperwork says it is not a requirement to have someone to drive me so was going alone as my apts are 830am- about 4/6pm (3 tests on aug 2nd). I was thinking if anything I could maybe wait it out if I was dizzy. My other apts are on Monday.

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:55 am »
Hi Derika,

I didn't have all those test, but some of them.  The physical is important, and mine came with a EKG to make sure my heart was in good shape for all that anesthesia.  Good luck with the procedure.

RachelSta

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »
Hi Derika,

I had my surgery at U of M on May 29. The CT scan was to see the placement of blood vessels inside your head which can Ted them during surgery. My CT scan showed I had a high jugular bulb, which makes it a little harder to get to the IAC. I guess they want to know before they get into surgery so they can be prepared.

While the tests give them information, I think they do the whole battery of tests so they can use your results in research publications. If they re running some kind of statistical analysis - how many patients with x result on the balance testing have y happen in surgery - they have the data. I mean, if you're getting Translab, what difference does it make how well the auditory nerve is sending signals to the brain?

Good luck with your surgery. I had Translab 8 week ago and am back to normal activity. I had no facial nerve issues. With the vestibular exercises, my balance is great - I've been riding my bike, jogging, and playing tennis. The single side deaf thing is weird, but if that's the worst of having this kind of surgery...

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Rachel

Pam Fraley

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:13 pm »
Derika,

I did not have any problems with dizziness from the test but I didn't have any major dizziness going into the test.  My test was done at my ENT's office prior to diagnosis as part of the diagnosis process and it was a requirement that I had a driver with me just in case.  Their paperwork stated that if I did not have a driver, they would not perform the test.  As I said, I didn't have any problems so I could have easily driven myself home, but it was their requirement.  My ENT that made the diagnosis is in Lansing and he is the one that referred me to Dr. Arts at U of M.

Pam
6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI

Derika

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:03:00 am »
Thanks Rachel! I am happy to hear you are doing well quickly and I hope the same for myself. I have had a lot of changes as in having to move in with a friend (My son and I) and hope to heal fast, get back to work so I can get back into a new house. I think I got your blog from Pam and have been reading your progress. It is giving me high hopes of the same! Any advise is appreciated. What kinds of things should I pack for my stay and I forget if I saw or not how long you were in the hospital for?

Pam, I messaged you my questions and I just saw you responded already. My paperwork did not say it was a requirement. Did you have the testing at U of M? Maybe I should call before I get all the way down there... Thanks!

nftwoed

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:14 pm »
Hi Pam;

Seems an ENG with calorics and no dizziness either side would be unusual unless one had no peripheral vestibular function remaining. I don't. Do you know if you had nystagmus in either eye?

Pam Fraley

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:28 am »
nftwoed,

I do not have any eye symptoms such as nystagmus in either eye.  I had my routine eye exam last week and everything looked fine.

Pam

6mmx4mm a/n (left IAC)
Diagnosed 2/5/2013 MRI