Author Topic: Looking like repeat performance  (Read 2093 times)

sandy10

Looking like repeat performance
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:55 pm »
 ok guys new as member been a watchful guest for 3 years but now I have questions. Had translab 2010 AN approx 4.5 so after 15 hr surgery only got debulked.  Tumor very sticky with lots of pipes to it creating great bloodflow. needless to say continued to grow so had 5 radiation tx 8 months later. Went every 6 months for repeat MRI then got on yearly schedule.  Originally my doc felt like it was larger related to swelling but after 3 years decided this thing is continuing to grow.  So after discussing with tumor board they recommend going back to my surgeons. I see them Aug 15, but office coordinator is expecting more surgery for me in near future. My rad onc says this time I will prob wake up a unhappy camper cause will prob affect my facial nerve and cause paralysis. i have slight facial weakness and prob couldn pass a sobriety test but that is my only deficits post surgery. I do have SSD in rigtht ear but no big deal.  Really concerned about this.  I am 48 mother of 3 kids and step mom to 3. I work about 40-50 hrs a week.  I work with the public cause I am a nurse.  Any help or suggestions?

nftwoed

Re: Looking like repeat performance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »
Hello;

Hi Sandy, my guess is to have a Translab procedure by an expert team. You obviously would have scar tissue from previous Tx. You'll just have to deal with the facial issues as they arise. One cannot guarantee a Dr's prediction.
   The 7th nerve will be monitored during surgery. It is a motor nerve, so, more resilient than the sensory, auditory and vestibular nerves.
   One can't guarantee the outcome. Only hope for the best, again, with an expert, and experienced surgical team.
   Is the radiation oncologist suggesting more radiation? 5 previous Tx's of what type radiation? Cyberknife? Says something about radiation's affect on the tumor, so ....
   Re, the tumor stickiness, that is a question for surgeons as to whether an Antoni A or B celled AN is harder to remove and whether it is a large factor.
   Re, blood supply; Destroy one/many, and the tumor often finds others with either cell type.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your "booger" is being a stubborn SOB. My only advice is to get opinions. Research. Send a copy to House & get their expert advice.
Please keep us posted.
Hugs
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

sandy10

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:55 am »
More rad was mentioned but in longer series of 25 treatments but considering long term effects and splash effects this was just mentioned as a last resort. They don't ever like to rad same place twice. I have great surgeon at Vanderbilt. Just did so well before was hoping done with this little booger but guess not.