Author Topic: almost definitely AN - pretty scared  (Read 8408 times)

stuartl

almost definitely AN - pretty scared
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:57 am »
Last week, I realized that I'm almost certainly dealing with one or two AN. To explain:

When I was a kid, I had a ton of ear infections. By age 12, I had permanent tinnitus in both ears. It wasn't bad. During my teens and early twenties, I played in bands and went to concerts, though I tried to protect my hearing at the latter. Tinnitus got a bit worse back then.

In 2008 (age 37), I had a routine hearing test at the company I worked for. The tester said, "You've lost some high frequency hearing in your left ear." I figured this was just a result of the damage done from earaches, loud noise, and time.

In 2011 (age 40), I was working on some music at a normal (not loud) volume, when a spike in tinnitus hit, and I thought I could tell that my hearing had changed. However, as I began to process the situation, I realized that my hearing had probably been going in the direction it was, and perhaps the tinnitus spike was new. Went to an audiologist in 2011 who said that I have otosclerosis. Went to an ENT in early 2012 who said that my hearing is still very good in the left ear (the right ear is great) and made no recommendations.

Five weeks ago, I developed persistent vertigo/dizziness. I'm not really sure how to term it. Sometimes I also have some odd feeling in my head, and I had some headache. Three weeks ago, a clinic doctor thought it was a sinus infection that he could clearly see was in progress, so that was treated. Went back when that didn't fix it, and another doctor put me on meclizine, but told me that I could see a neurologist if that didn't help.

I saw the neurologist on Monday, and she was very helpful. I'm getting an MRI in four days, then I go back to see her on 8/29.

Unfortunately, I've begun to deal with odd facial sensations. Nothing is permanent, but the little feelings of momentary sensation line up with what I've read about here. Looking back, I realize that there were very minor (and easily ignored) symptoms when I was living up north. I had some weirdness with conjunctivitis in one eye that was intermittent, but again, I'd had that as a kid off and on, so I was used to it. I also think there were other little things, but I couldn't put my finger on what they were.

It gets worse.

My insurance lapsed in April after I left a job to move back to Arkansas. I had intended to get new employment or a new plan, but I ended up focusing on some pet issues that my parents and I are having (I'm staying with them), and just didn't give it the thought I should have.

On top of that, I may have NF-1 or NF-2. I had congenital cataracts (not juvenile), and I have a few cafe au lait spots. I realize that nothing is ironclad, but I'm concerned that just because I don't have much in the way of right ear symptoms doesn't mean something isn't going on there.

Mainly, please keep me in your thoughts and/or prayers. You're a very informative and helpful community, and I've learned a lot just by reading posts. I already have pretty good ideas of how this thing will go, though I'm not sure how I'll pay for it or where I'll be having surgery (in AR or possibly at Duke or Kansas City; it needs to be somewhere that will provide some discount/charity care/assistance). Please chime in with any thoughts.

Stuart

stuartl

Re: almost definitely AN - pretty scared
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:47:18 pm »
I also wanted to mention that I'm having very mild swallowing and voice issues. I will not be surprised if I get a call from the neurologist to come in asap after my MRI is done and the radiologist has sent her the results.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:54:33 am »
Hi, Stewart ~

Thanks for joining, although I do hope the MRI doesn't indicate an acoustic neuroma. 

I agree that your symptoms do appear to point to an AN but we've learned that there are many medical issues that can mimic some AN symptoms.  I won't bother to list them all because until you undergo the MRI scan, its all speculation and I'm not a doctor, just a patient who went through both surgery and radiation for a large (4.5 cm) AN and came through it just fine, which is my hope for every AN patient.

For the moment, I'll simply offer my thoughts and prayers for your situation and trust that you'll keep us updated when the MRI results are revealed next week.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stuartl

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:27:15 am »
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your response. I'd love for this to be something else, but it sure feels like bilateral AN. I'm concerned as the symptoms seem to be escalating, which makes me think there's change or growth. I'm trying to get in to have the MRI done today. I have a feeling I won't be able to get out to House or to Duke (the two places I was most interested in for surgery), but I think UAMS in Little Rock has a decent program. I'm just concerned that I won't have the experience of a House team there, but if this is becoming urgent, getting things taken care of is important.

I appreciate the thoughts and prayers from you and from anyone else reading.

Lance

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08:50 am »
Hi Stuart,

I'm really sorry to read your story.  You've been through a lot already.  In this wonderful community you will meet people who have been down the AN road already, and here we are living our lives out, so stay optimistic.

You received a reply from Jim - he is one of the best here.  I cannot add anything more than what Jim has already posted, except that you should make sure your MRI is with and without contrast. 

Hang tough.

LakeErie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:13:44 pm »
Stuart, Things are always hectic at diagnosis. Even if you are told you have an AN, the situation is almost never so urgent you don't have time to get more than one opinion and make a deliberative decision about your care. House and Duke are fine institutions, but there are many others, too. You will decide which one is best for you when you have the interviews finished, whether in person or on the phone. Take this situation one step at a time and you will do well. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

stuartl

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:13:49 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts and support, Chances3 and LakeErie. I managed to have my MRI done today, and I didn't receive a follow-up phone call telling me that any emergency situation exists, so hopefully nothing too crazy will happen over the weekend. Hopefully.

I'll definitely look into a number of options. I like the idea of House, which sounds like it might be one of the best places in the world for AN surgery, but I have a close friend in Durham who lives a few minutes from Duke. I'm concerned that, after my recovery on site, I still might not be ready to fly, and having someone I can stay with is valuable in its own way.

Need to try not to think about this over the weekend. I'm guessing that'll last about ten minutes. :)

nftwoed

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:48 pm »
Lance;
  Tumor growth doesn't usually become urgent because last week you thought you had some Sx. Also, NF-2 is not something one feels. One can't imagine it w/o positive test results; E.G. MRI. Same as difficulty swallowing and change in voice. Both can be produced by stress.
   Your stressors are understandable, but will likely work themselves through if you keep a level head. One thing, one test, one result, one consult at a time. Most don't have to have Tx immediately. There is time. Flow with these difficulties if you can and make some calls if need be, or visit hospital business offices if need be. You'll make better decisions.
   But, worry will not help. I wish I could turn it off for you. I've been there, and in retrospect, realize how I was overreacting to what I thought the situation was, 'at the time'.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:39:58 pm by nftwoed »

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:07:17 am »
Lance, the more one gets nervous and excited, the more one feels symptoms that maybe one would not even have noticed when more calm.       The odds are even with the cataracts, you do not for sure have NF2.            In my opinion only, I think you would have been having tumors and other issues when younger if did have NF2.     This is my opinion only.              MRI will tell.                  I have older adult onset type NF2.            3 tumors over time with surgery when in my 50's.    I was back to work in 2 mos as a nurse.     Retired before the last surgery.                So hang in there.       Also remember that there are many places one can go with an experienced surgeon as long as do many ANs.             Also on the forum one thinks all people have severe issues post op and many do not.    They may have the one sided deafness, SSd but they adjust and life goes on as before.     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 07:11:16 am »
Hi Lance (or Stuart?)
Welcome to the group and feel free to lean on the members as much as you like because they give you welcoming arms at every turn.
The weekend isn't going to be easy but try to keep busy and see if you can work out some energy on maybe a hobby or kids?
I'll be looking forward to seeing your results when you get them.
Best wishes,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:10:02 am »
Hi Lance/Stuart .....

Just adding my welcome to this forum and agreeing with the posters above.

I will also add that I had my first surgery at Duke and my second at House ..... both places with great physicians.  I do not know about Duke's policy, but I do know that House works with uninsured patients.

If, indeed, you do have an AN, it would at least be worth sending your MRI and audiogram to House for a free consultation.

Many thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

phantagrae

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:38:07 pm »
Stuart,

I'm here in LR and am undergoing radiation treatment at CARTI/St Vincent.  I saw a neurologist, Dr. Chesser, at OrthoArkansas.  He recommended an MRI and I got a call from him the day after the MRI.  I then went to see an ENT at Arkansas Otolaryngology, Dr. D I c k I n s (apparently the system doesn't like my doctor's name... ;) ),  had a hearing test and he recommended radiation treatment because I'm a musician and surgery was too risky in regard to my career.

I had considered going to the Barrow Institute in Phoenix, but I also have insurance issues, and couldn't work out the financial aspect there.  But in further discussion with Dr. d***ins, I was able to go to CARTI, where they will also work with un- or under-insured patients.

If you have an AN, you should look into all of your options, either surgery, radiation, or whatever.  I was diagnosed in April and had time to read and research, etc., and finally started my treatments in July.  I have 2 weeks to go (YAY!) and have been very happy with Dr. Gao at CARTI.

Even though you may be feeling panicky, take the time to do your research, get some consultations.  Don't make any decisions in a hurry.  Only you can decide which path is best for you physically and emotionally and you should weigh all your options.

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or another, just letting you know the experience I have had so far.
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more specifics. :)
Numbness on right side of face beginning some time in 2012 through early 2013
MRI 4/15/13
20mm x 19mm x 16mm intra and extra canalicular AN on Right Side.  ("Largely extracanalicular")
FSR treatment beginning on July 22, 2013--going for 30 treatments

JWW

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 12:51:04 pm »
@phantagrae: I have never heard of 30 GK treatments?

stuartl

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:01 pm »
Ha! Yes, my first name is Stuart and my middle name is Lance. I usually go by the latter, but sometimes use the former when posting on internet forums. Since this already feels less like a bunch of disparate posters and more like a band of friends and family, I'll go by Lance.

Thanks everyone for all your positive thoughts and encouragements to keep it together. There's nothing I can actively do this weekend, so I really need to chill out. I should note that reading The Truth In Small Doses might not have been the most distracting choice for reading, and I'm going to put it down for awhile.

Will post more later. Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Lance

nftwoed

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 05:54:19 pm »
Hi;
   Apparently they meant FSR. 30 fractions, different times, of a total radiation therapy Tx.

@phantagrae: I have never heard of 30 GK treatments?