Author Topic: Surgery at HEI upcoming  (Read 3626 times)

Ruber22

Surgery at HEI upcoming
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »
Hello All,
My surgery day is in 12 days with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Ear Clinic. I will be traveling form NY, but based on all of the positive outcome patients have had with them I feel at ease that I will be in great hands. I am getting so anxious as the date is approaching. I feel terrified how I would feel being taken to the operating room but my faith in my doctors is very strong so I try to fight the anxiety.
I want to thank all of the posters for your advice, kindness, words of encouragement .
I think hearing about great outcome all of you had is easing my pre surgery anxiety. Good luck to all of you.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
Elina

sterry

Re: Surgery at HEI upcoming
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
I hope all went well for you! I had the same surgeons, almost 4 years ago, the are amazing!
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
Hi Elina .....

My surgery was done at St. Vincent's in May, 2011 by your same doctors.  They are wonderful!!  Try to be as relaxed as you can (I know that is difficult!).  The transport person and the OR staff were all great to keep it light and cheerful just before surgery.  Be sure to look out the big glass windows as you head down the hallway towards the surgical suite.  When I was there the trees were in full bloom with beautiful purple flowers.  It was like a message to relax in the beauty.  I truthfully went under anesthesia totally relaxed and woke up quickly and easily.  Again, the recovery room nurses were wonderful and right with me all of the time.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

P.S.  I flew all the way from WV (via D.C.) and had no problems on the flight home ..... other than fatigue from the weather-related flight delays.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:30 am »
I totally agree with what Clarice has written. House and St. Vincent's are superb facilities and the personnel at both are equally outstanding. I had my translab surgery there in January 2008 and continue to view it as my best medical decision ever.

I traveled from New Jersey for my surgery, and had a very comfortable and uneventful flight back home, some 10 or 11 days following surgery.

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches.

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:19:09 am »
Elina,

I'm another House alumni from the East Coast (Maryland).

You will be treated well at House and St. Vincents there is no doubt about that. 

I had a lot of anxiety before the surgery, but the morning of I was completely relaxed.  The staff getting your ready for surgery are very pleasant and my wife was at my side until it was time for the happy drugs to begin.

They are pros out there and while there are no guarantees in outcome, you are guaranteed that you will get the best care possible from doctors and nurses who have done it many, many, many times before.

Best wishes for a speedy and easy recovery,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

Jim J.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:47 am »
I too am having surgery the same day, at the same place, and with the same doctors as Elina and reading everyones responses to her is also comforting to me.

Thank you to all,
Jim

albert in atlanta

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:19:31 pm »
Drs. Friedman and Schwartz performed my surgery in June.  You will not find two more compassionate and qualified surgeons. You are in good hands. The worst part about it for me was not the surgery or my outcome.  It was the food at St. Vincent's.  If I thought it would help to alleviate your anxiety about the surgery I would suggest that you focus more on surviving the pretend food. While my suggestion is obviously made tongue in cheek, do try to relax as best you can.  You can control only so much, and you already did that as best as you could by maximizing your odds with the selection of top shelf surgeons.  I wish you luck.
1.7 cm. Retrosigmoid in June, 2013. Drs. Rick Friedman and Marc Schwartz.