Author Topic: Five Years Post GK and Still Finding Recent Shrinkage on MRI  (Read 4126 times)

windy

Hi All,

This month marks my five year anniversary of GK. I had my MRI scan today and they found another 2 mm's of shrinkage for my tumor! Though the MRI scan was not done on the same MRI machine as last year (which they preferred), they still felt it appeared to be 2 more mm's of shrinkage from last year. During this year, I had experienced a sudden bout of extreme dizziness in May that followed with a couple of months of mild dizziness. This was not characteristic of previous symptoms for me. Due to this new symptom, they did check my MRI scan for signs of swelling and any possible blood issues within the tumor, but did not find any.

My tumor has not followed what I would call a normal path, AT ALL! For those of you who are worried that your tumor will never shrink, please keep the FAITH! My tumor started showing progress of shrinkage at the 4 year mark and has continued into the 5 year mark. I am thrilled to say the least!

I hope this message will be encouraging to others who may be searching for information when you have been told "you have growth" more than once in your journey. Though some situations will not allow for the waiting period as with a larger tumor, if it is small it may well be worth the wait and avoid any further treatment. Shrinkage can occur at a later date! Again, please keep the faith! Prayers can be answered!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Petrone

Re: Five Years Post GK and Still Finding Recent Shrinkage on MRI
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:05:37 pm »

Hi Windy,

That's great news!  I just had GK earlier this year and hearing success stories like yours is very encouraging.  Thanks for sharing!

Petrone 
1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

robinb

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:29 am »
Windy-

That's awesome news. Congrats!

Thank you so much for posting this update as its unusual to see someone take the time to post with positive long term results.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

mk

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
This is so awesome Windy, you know how happy I am for you.  ;)
For sure your story provides strong evidence that people shouldn't panick at the first sign of regrowth and when they experience increases in their symptoms post radiation. Shrinkage can happen in the long term.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:29:00 pm »
Thanks Windy

I have had no shrinkage in 3 years, this give me great hope!

TJ

windy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
Thank you all for your replies above. I know when I did not see results in my MRI scans I searched throughout old posts to see if anyone had been in a similar situation. I also found hope in someone (can't remember their name now) who had shrinkage after several years. I really do hope that the above post of my experience can help others in the future if they find their tumor is not shrinking as they had hoped earlier on after radiation.
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Alison

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:42 am »
Hi windy,

thanks for posting your good news! it is helpful to those of us more recent post toasties who only seem to have swelling at present!

Alison.

CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:42:35 pm »
Windy,

Great news!!  Always like to see these kind of posts!    :)
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!