Author Topic: Outcomes of Middle Fossa Approach for removing Small AN  (Read 6902 times)

nearpoint

Outcomes of Middle Fossa Approach for removing Small AN
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »
I have a small AN of size 14mm x 0.7mm but very good hearing. I have constant ringing in my ears and sometime mild ear aches that come and go. My AN has grown by 2mm in 6 months according to my recent MRI. I was in a wait and see mode, but will need to take action soon. I have appointments scheduled with two neurosurgeons, one at U of M and the other at the Michigan Ear Institute. My oncologist is recommending the translab approach as it has the best outcome for preserving the facial nerve. I would also like to preserve my hearing which would mean the Middle Fossa approach. Would like to hear from anyone that has had a small tumor removed using the Middle Fossa approach. Would like to know your experiences and outcomes in terms of facial nerve and hearing preservation. 

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Outcomes of Middle Fossa Approach for removing Small AN
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:39 am »
Hi Nearpoint!  Sorry to hear your AN is growing.  There are tons of us on here that have had Middle Fossa, including myself. I had it done at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles almost 4 years ago.  I maintained some level of hearing but I did get a BAHA to help with the hearing.  There are varying degrees of success but I think with very few exceptions there'll be some deterioration of hearing quality once you have the AN treated.  It's not a guarantee that you'll keep ANY kind of hearing, it just depends on what they find once they get in there and what they need to do to get the AN out.  I wish I could be super positive and say you'll absolutely come out of this with perfect hearing, but I really haven't heard of such successes, at least in far term.  But I am sure you'll get more people to write about their experiences.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Jay
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:08:37 pm by jaylogs »
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
Hi Nearpoint,

I also am sorry you have a AN, but this is a great site.  I had a small AN growing on my 8Th cranial nerve.  I had middle fossa done almost three years by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfonos at NYU Langone Medical Center. My hearing was preserved, although it's not 100 %, I do have pretty good hearing.  If I am tired and run down, or sick, the hearing is not as good, but if I am feeling good, the hearing is very good as well.

I hope that helps, good luck with your choice, and don't hesitate to post, plenty of great people here who understand.

Little_Bear

• Be extraordinary
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:59 pm »
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your AN. I have a small AN as well, 4 mm by 5mm, I have just recently scheduled my Middle Fossa surgery with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Giannotta at the new Acoustic Neuroma Center at USC. If you are looking for more opinions from other Dr's, I would suggest talking to Dr. Friedman. Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:53:34 pm by Little_Bear »

paul007ex

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »
Hey Little_Bear - Any update on your surgery? Sent you an pm as well.

-Paul

michellef08

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »
Not sure if I'm too late to weigh in on this, but I had Middle Fossa done by Dr. Schwartz and Friedman at House in April 2013.

My hearing was completely preserved (It was at about 90% before surgery), no facial nerve damage, and no balance issues! Those surgeons are seriously amazing!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

newan1

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:53:57 pm »
Hi Michelle,

I saw in the below link about the cons of MF : http://www.anarchive.org/approaches.htm

How bad is the the retraction of the brain?

"retraction (pushing aside) of the temporal lobe (part of brain responsible for speech and memory)"

Thanks,

Ray

michellef08

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »
Hi Ray,
I have not noticed a single issue with difficulty finding words in speech, and/or slippages in memory.

At my local support group, some other members commented that they seem to notice this. These people did not have the Middle Fossa approach, they either had Retro-Sig or Translab, so it may be a risk factor in all of the surgical approaches. When this was brought up, I was surprised as I had never heard of this, and never experienced this. And I am now 10 months post-op!

Hope this helps!
~Michelle
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »
Sorry about the delay in seeing your post.  I don't know if you are still researching options or have already chosen your course of action.  I am in Michigan and was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago with a relatively small AN.  I elected to have Mid Fossa surgery at HEI.  Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."