Author Topic: Great Tinnitus Info site / anyone heard of DMSO?  (Read 10382 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Great Tinnitus Info site / anyone heard of DMSO?
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:26 am »
In my never ending search for NOISE RELEIF, I found the following site  www.bixby.org/faq/tinnitus.html

There is just about every drug and remedy ever tried listed with results form studies etc. One in particular I intend on looking into is called DSMO which stands for Dimethyl Sulfoxide. it is a colorless hygroscopic liquid obstained from ligin. it is used as a penetrant to convey medications into the tissues.
  The study was on 15 patients all with constant tinnitus and 5 of them had vertigo. Every 4 days they were given 2 mililiters of medicated DMSO solution containing  antiinflamitory and vasoailatory compounds applied locally to the external audditory canal, and given an intramuscular injection of the same. After 1 month, 9 of the 15 patients had total cessatation of the tinnitus and no return after 1 year of observation. Of the remaining 6 patients, 2 had diminished tinnitus, and 4 had the tinnitus become occassional rather than what had been permanant. The 5 who had vertigo noted improvement in their vertigo.

WOW!!!!!! WHERE DO I GET THIS STUFF??????????   I WANT IT NOW!!!

Anyone else heard of this

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Great Tinnitus Info site / anyone heard of DMSO?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:52:36 am »
Patti,

Great info. I can ask my dad (lovingly referred to around here as PapaPearl) as he is a pharmacist.... he may have add'l info. Will also check with my sister, who does clinical trials in Atlanta to see if she's heard of it and add'l info.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

vjharris

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:46:29 am »
Hi Patti,
My ex-husband was a marathon runner and he used to take DMSO for muscle (back) pain. He would rub it on his skin and it would absorb right to the muscle. He swore it helped, but I (always very leery of even ligitimate medications) worried what it would do to him. He said it was originally made for horses. (!)
We're apart now, but I haven't heard any problems he may be dealing with 15 years later.
The one thing I can tell you...it has a distinctive odor. Sort of like "garlic on steroids", and it will stay with you for days. (No, that's not why we split up.  ;))
I'm not sure where he got it, but I would check with any marathoners you might know.
Best of luck to you!
vjh
2.2x2.37 right side meningioma or acoustic neuroma
Gamma Knife Dec 5, 2006

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:07:20 pm »
Yep, DMSO has been around for years...people used it for arthritis, too.  And, yes, it has that odor.  Don't know anyone who used it, however.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Obita

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:44:55 pm »
I must ask this because I cannot find an answer online:  Is deaf ear tinnitus any different than hearing ear tinnitus?  There is so much info out there about masking tinnitus, tinnitus re-training, tinnitus cds for sale, yada yada  etc.....but would any treatment be possible with a deaf ear?  Tony:  thanks for the explaination about not really hearing it a few threads ago.

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:46:29 pm »
Good question Kathy,  but I don;t know the answer. I would thinkthe tinnitus is similar for deaf, hearing or diminished hearing people  but I wonder if the treatment would differ?  hmmmmmmmm???????

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 05:37:31 pm »
Good question.  My audiologist said that the hearing aid helps the brain to focus on something else besides the tinnitus. At least that's how I interpreted what she said to me.  In my case, I have some hearing in my "bad ear" and she said it would help to keep that nerve from atrophying. I would try the crosslink ones, but I just can't afford them.  And I guess the sooner you get one and get used to it, the better. I've heard that the longer you go without aids then the harder it is to adjust to them.  But, boy, it's hard to shell out $3000 on the hope that they might work. At least it is for me.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode