Author Topic: Translab and BAHA  (Read 2447 times)

MMFlorida

Translab and BAHA
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:03 am »
My husband (65) was recently diagnosed with AN.  At first the doctor thought he would do the Retrosigmoid approach but subsequent hearing tests proved that he had very little hearing to try and save and suggested the Translab.  We asked about a cochlear implant or BAHA and he said that they wouldn't work if there if the hearing nerve is gone.  However, on this forum, I see that some people have said that they had the translab and insertion of the BAHA at the same time.  So we are a little confused.

It is not feasible for us to go to California, but I feel that the Doctor we selected at the U of Miami (Telischi) who did his Fellowship at HEI is an excellent surgeon but it makes me feel that we are not doing everything possible to have the best outcome unless we do fly out to HEI. 

I guess after finding out that he will totally lose his hearing in his right ear, we are a bit nervous about everything.

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
Re: Translab and BAHA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:36 am »
I have been under the impression that BAHA transmits to the good ear via bone conduction.  I didn't realize it doesn't work if the auditory nerve on the AN side is gone.  If your husband is not a candidate for a BAHA then you may want to look into the Phonak CROS or BiCROS.
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Translab and BAHA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
Hi MMFlorida .....

In May, 2011 I had a translab approach surgery at HEI to remove my regrown AN.  Because I knew this would totally destroy any remaining hearing in my AN ear, I talked with Dr. Friedman about implanting the baha abutment at the same time.  He said he frequently does the two things at the same time.  Therefore, the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro abutment was implanted at the same time as the translab surgery.

A baha is a bone conducted hearing system that transmits sounds via bone-conduction (as does the SoundBite system).  People often confuse it with a cochlear implant that transmits sounds directly to a working cochlea.  As long as one has a working auditory nerve, a baha (either an Oticon Medical Ponto or a Cochlear BAHA) will transmit the incoming sounds (from one's deaf side) to the working nerve on the hearing side.  Note:  you must decide which company beforehand because the processors (the actual hearing assist that snaps onto the abutment) do not fit each other's abutments.

Unless your husband has poor hearing in his non-AN ear, as well, he should be a candidate for a baha.  Some doctors prefer to do two separate surgeries.  I am glad Dr. Friedman did mine at the same time ..... much less hassle than having to go through another procedure later.

PM me if you would like to talk more about this privately.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011