Author Topic: Dr. Barry Hirsch & Dr. Peter Jannetta  (Read 3941 times)

eye on future

Dr. Barry Hirsch & Dr. Peter Jannetta
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:49:18 pm »
Has anyone had surgery done or heard of Dr. Barry Hirsch or Dr. Peter Jannetta? They are both in Pittsburg PA I was referred to them and had not known of them before.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Dr. Barry Hirsch & Dr. Peter Jannetta
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:22:11 pm »
Dr. Jannetta did my retrosigmoid approach microvascular decompression surgery for trigeminal neuralgia in 1994.  I am quite certain he has not done surgery for quite some time because he is in his 80s now.  At least, I do not think I would be comfortable with a surgeon in his 80s if he still is.

I had excellent results from my 1994 surgery, however.

I do not know anything about Dr. Hirsch.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

rupert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
   I was also referred to Dr. Hirsch in 2009 by my ENT, after the MRI showing my AN.  I had a consultation with him several months later.  He has a fine reputation.  He went over all of the different types of treatment with me.  Surgery, Gamma Knife, Cyber Knife , fractionated and risks and side effects of each procedure.  he also did a more extensive hearing test to see if hearing preservation was worthwhile. ( it wasn't). He also suggested a consultation with Dr. Paul Gardner who worked with him during AN surgery at that time.  After consultations with both doctors I was impressed and actually had surgery scheduled with them at one point.  I also continued researching the Gamma Knife option at UPMC, as that is very highly rated.  In the end, I went with Gamma Knife at UPMC with Dr. Kondziolka.
   Are you near the Pitt. area?  How big is your AN?

eye on future

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I am about 4 hours away in NY and was given both names and the center in Pittsburgh to check out by my dr. I wanted to get an experienced and practiced dr. and did not mind traveling some. My an was 1.2 cm six months ago, I am looking to have the an removed thru surgery and have a CI put in at the same time     ( translab ) as I have no hearing left in that side and my other side is soon to be gone. Would like to do my research first surgery second.

rupert

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »
  I am also up  here in NY  :).   It certainly wouldn't hurt to schedule a consultation. Forewarn, It might take 6 - 8 weeks to get in.