Author Topic: Gamma Update (Treatment 09/11/13)  (Read 4716 times)

Echo

Gamma Update (Treatment 09/11/13)
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:26 pm »
Woke up this morning to find both eyelids swollen significantly.  Left eyelid completely covered with a dark reddish bruise.  I was somewhat surprised because I had been using cold compresses on the pin sites and they have been doing great!  I've spent most of the day with cold compresses and looking through tiny slits.  The swelling is slightly better this evening so I'll keep doing the compresses and resting.  The list of things I was to watch for post treatment included the swelling but it was at the bottom of the list and was mentioned as a reaction to the local anesthetic.  I'm not surprised I'm reacting to the anesthetic.  I've had terrible reactions in the past to general anesthetic so it was one of the many reasons I chose Gamma.

Other than the swollen eyelids which are not sore, just annoying, I am pleased to say I feel pretty good!

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

robinb

Re: Gamma Update (Treatment 09/11/13)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »
Hi Cathie-

Glad to hear you are feeling good. I know the swelling will subside soon, so all the best for a continued good outcome.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Nannybee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »
Cathie, here's hoping every day brings you closer to the pre-head frame you. It is the worst part by far.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

Nank

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:13:47 am »
I had a droopy eyelid for a while but last about 1 week.  Hope your eyes are back to normal soon!
1.3x0.7 cm AN in right ear
Diagnosed 6/12/13
Tinnitus, ear pain
No hearing loss
GK 7/25/13

Echo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »
Well the ice packs are finally working.  Both eye lids are almost back to normal.  The bruising is turning a lovely yellowish red colour, however, I now have swelling below the lids in the sinus area above the cheek bones.  My sinuses are a complete mess and I'm quite congested. Honestly not sure if I have picked up a cold or if the all the fluid from the swelling is providing cold like symptoms. Given how swollen the eye lids were there's a ton of extra fluid in my head.   Pin sites are doing excellent!!  Have  very minor headaches occasionally that Tylenol can manage.

Overall I'm doing well.  I was able to walk the dogs today around a couple of small blocks.  Felt good to get outside and get some fresh air.  Looking forward to taking longer walks and finding more energy each day.  I am listening to my body as so many of you have told me to do and taking rests frequently.

Cathie.

Echo

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:14 am »
It's been one month today since my Gamma Knife treatment.  The only issue I encountered immediately after treatment were the swollen eyelids which swelled and bruised significantly.  Three days of using ice packs and the swelling was gone, bruising gone within the first week.  Separate to my Gamma treatment I ended up with a nasty sinus and bronchial infection that lasted for the initial two weeks after treatment, so needless to say it was a rough few weeks.   I'd like to let everyone know that things are now good!

The biggest change I've noticed so far is the incredible relief I feel at being post treatment.  For the entire year after diagnosis I was constantly thinking about what to do. My symptoms made it difficult to not think about treatment choices.  While I felt relief at finally deciding on Gamma Knife treatment, the biggest relief came after my treatment. It was during my third week post treatment, I was trimming a few plants in the garden and suddenly realized how incredibly good I felt.  I realized I was experiencing a calm peaceful feeling that I hadn't experienced for a long time - there were no little voices in my head arguing over what to do with my AN Alien! 

I know it's early yet in my recovery process and things may or may not change as time goes on.  I still have balance issues I'm working on, and the usual issues I experience with darkness - which is coming earlier in the evening each day, however, today I am thankful all is good and good news is worth sharing!

Cathie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:03:40 pm »
Cathie ~

Congratulations on your one-month anniversary as a 'postie-toastie!  I'm delighted to learn that the stress and tension of having your AN radiation treatment both decided on and finished is lifting your spirits to new heights.  I trust your recovery will continue, unabated.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.