Author Topic: Recent experience with Drs Cueva and Mastrodimos at San Diego Kaiser?  (Read 7803 times)

GiLoSD

Just had my first consult with Dr. Roberto Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos at Kaiser in San Diego.  Has anyone had recent experience with them as surgeons or for Watch/Wait ?  They do 50-60 surgeries/year, mostly retrosigmoid.

Thank you!

DX August 2013 5mm x 5mm x 11 mm AN
Mostly in central auditory canal, barely extending beyond
Mild hearing loss
Mild balance issues
August 2013:  9 mm x 5 mm x 5 mm

adamsse

Re: Recent experience with Drs Cueva and Mastrodimos at San Diego Kaiser?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:40:23 pm »
I don't have experience with them yet, but I have an appointment with Dr. Cueva in a couple of weeks.
57 YO
Right ear hearing reduction, tinnitus
7/2013 MRI 3mm tumor, pre-treatment
Second MRI scheduled for 01/2014
Los Angeles based, looking for right medical care

Mormor

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:48 pm »
I had an eight hour Translab surgery for a 4 cm AN in April of this year at Kaiser in San Diego by Drs Cueva and Mastrodimos. I highly recommend this team.

I did a lot of research once I was diagnosed in December and came to the conclusion they were the best team for me even though I live north of Los Angeles and had to travel down to San Diego. I was a little hesitant of Kaiser but I had had surgery in Panorama City to remove my thyroid and was very pleased with Kaiser's Hospital.

The Drs spent a lot of time explaining everything to me so I knew what to expect. So far no unexpected surprises.

It is now 24 weeks since my surgery and I'm doing fine. I never had any pain after surgery, never took a painkiller. Still having slight problem with dry eye and my right side bottom teeth are still a bit sensitive.

Again, I highly recommend this team. You will not go wrong.

Inger
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:52:41 pm by Mormor »
4 cm AN diagnosed December 2012.
Translab surgery done April 2013 at Kaiser, San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos.

kurtenbachj

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:25:49 pm »
This is my first post on this site. I am scheduled for surgery with Drs Cueva and Mastrodimos on Nov. 6th of this year, just three weeks away. My AN is a medium size one, about 22mm at it longest. It is pushing on my Trigeminal nerve which results in Trigeminal neuralgia. I'm also about 80% deaf in the affected ear with constant loud tinnitus, so I believe they are going in using the translab approach, which will result in total hearing loss - a fair trade IMO to get rid of the neuroma and accompanying Trigeminal neuralgia.

So, I'll have some current feedback very soon. I'll let you know how it went after I return home. All the best to you,

Jim 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:07:27 pm by kurtenbachj »
Age 56
Diagnosed July 2013 MRI 22mm AN
Trigeminal neuralgia (Primary) March 2011
Hearing loss about 80% in affected ear
Moderate balance issues

Sheila1977

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
I had translab surgery a year ago in September.  They are great doctors and experienced with acoustic neuroma.  Kaiser SD hospital took great care of me.  I also traveled to SD from Orange County.  You are in good hands.
7mm AN June 2011
Almost doubled in July 2012
Translab Sep 2012 at Kaiser San Diego

dedejanine

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »
Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos did my brain surgery 6-2007.  The did all that they could to keep me smiling, and when it was time to go under I told the nurse I was scared.  She held my hand and whispered in my ear, nite nite.  The hospital staff took great care of me, nothing but praise for this group.  Dr. Cueva wears some pretty crazy tennis shoes with red flames.  You are in good hands.
Dee

artadvice

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »
I just got diagnosed last week and have surgery scheduled for Feb 26, any words of wisdom?  Would love to hear about what to expect in recovery.  Also, since we are travelling from LA, I was thinking about getting a vacation rental for my husband and adult daughter in lieu of staying in a hotel...any suggestions?

Pamm659

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:24 am »
Hello All,

After 8 months of riding the emotional roller coaster, telling myself yes, do it, no, don't, yes, no... I have schedule my surgery to remove my 1.4 cm tumor for March 19, 2014 with Cueva and Mastrodimos at Kaiser San Diego.

My husband and I will pull our travel trailer down from our home to an RV Resort in La Mesa so my husband can stay there during my hospitalization which will be cheaper than a hotel. He will be able to eat most of his meals there and it is just 5 minutes away.

I attended the ANA National Symposium in LA last July and was told by Brackmann and others that, "You will be in good hands with Cueva and Mastradomis." I also had a one-on-one talk with Brackmann and Fink from Mayo who confirmed Translab is the best approach since my hearing is unserviceable on the left side. It's a hard decision, but with the top doctors reinforcing the Kaiser Team, I feel at peace to have made the decision.

Pamm

TexasSprinter

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:18:57 am »
Pam and artadvice:
Pam--congrats on scheduling your surgery.  I know how it is a load off your mind to make that decision.  Tell your husband to pack lots of delicious food in the trailer to bring to you after surgery because if the hospital there is like mine in Dallas, the surgeons are fantastic but the food is horrible!
artadvice--boy there is a lot to cover on what potentially to expect.  (You might re-post your question as a standalone post rather than as a reply in case people miss your question (as I almost did)).  Short story for me:  First AN surgery in Dec. 2012 was middle fossa.  Only portion of tumor removed.  Hearing and balance nerves were lost during surgery so I came away single-sided deaf (SSD) and dizzy.  Facial paralysis for 12 hours but amazingly "snapped back" to normal after first day.  Up and walking slowly after a day; out of hospital in 4-5 days; dizziness/vertigo weird sensation from losing balance nerve stayed with me for a few months; balance feels normal now.  Was back to work in about one month.  Still getting used to SSD.  Second AN surgery in Dec. 2013, this time translab.  Easier recovery this time (balance/vertigo not a problem since left side of brain fully compensating) and no facial-nerve issues.  More headaches this time but very manageable.  98-99% of tumor removed this (hopefully last) time.  Please give us more information on your type of surgery and other details so people can provide more feedback.  Best of luck.
Scott     

TexasSprinter

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:48 am »
artadvice--I now see that you re-posted in a standalone post. 

resox84

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:12 am »
Artadvice and Pamm,

I will be having my surgery before both of you, so hopefully I will be able to comment on my results along with the two doctors and hospital staff prior to either of your surgeries. After researching and reading all the great things others have said about them, I have no doubt that we all are in good hands. I am really confident in their ability, and am a bit anxious just to get the whole thing over with so that I can start working on my life again.

Randy

Pamm659

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 11:50:54 am »
Thank You Everyone for the support and encouragement. It means so much to have a place to come to where people know exactly what I am talking about.

I am now in high gear working on my balance several times a day. I do Physical Therapy for a living and know how important my pre-op program is in relation to my post-op outcomes. I have an Airex Pad that I work on doing Single Limb Stance, leaning slightly forward and backward controlling my balance with eyes open and closed. I do stand near a wall for safety. I also work on Tandem Gait (one foot in front of the other or The Drunk Test) with eyes open and closed. I am also training at the gym with a trainer on balance and Core strengthening gives me feeling like I have some sense of control with an out of control situation.

People without AN's would not think this would be difficult to do but it's pretty taxing and empowering at the same time. I feel there will be no regrets from my for pre-op efforts once I am out of surgery.

My suggestion to everyone is to go back to ANA's March 2013 Newsletter and you will find an article from a Physical Therapist with an exercise program that you can start now. The integration of vision, movement and the Vestibular System is a beautiful thing when there are no deficits. But with us, we are compromised and need to challenge our good side to compensate for the AN impairment. There is no way exercise cannot help us to be the best prepared we can be and to continue these after surgery will be the best thing we can to for ourselves.

My new montra is STRENGTH, BALANCE, COURAGE...it's meaning is significant for each one of us but just in different ways.

Always,
Pamm