Author Topic: GK Six Month Post-Treatment: My Incredible Hulk  (Read 5195 times)

mesafinn

GK Six Month Post-Treatment: My Incredible Hulk
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:11:43 am »
Hello, All,

I am writing a bit here about my post-treatment experiences because I have learned from some of the best about AN journeys.  In no way do I write to concern or alarm newly diagnosed folks but rather to inform and explain, knowing that I benefited from the experiences of others.  When "things happened," it was exceptionally helpful to have read about other reactions so I better understood what was happening.  However, I've also learned that EACH AN individual is very different, there are no particular/expected outcomes, and that some people have no reactions whatsoever.

I am almost six months post-GK.  I had my treatment done at UPMC.  For months 1-5, I experienced mostly fatigue and continued tinnitus. 

But around the middle of month five, I experienced more and more acute symptoms.

I have had pulsatile tinnitus for well over a year.  It started in my AN ear but after treatment, the pulsatile tinnitus (heartbeat in my ear) went to my non-AN ear.  The neurosurgeon I spoke with this week said that's because my brain is very confused---trying to send out signals---and the brain doesn't know what to do.  There is no way to turn it "off."  I have been prescribed an MRA--a Magnetic Resonance Angiography--which studies the blood vessels and can determine if there are any vascular concerns.  It's one used with the TRICKS sequence to rule out any additional possibilities beyond the AN.

Since my treatment, I have also had more blurry visioning and a changing of eyesight.  I do not have dry eyes or double vision but rather more distorted visions.  Reading is harder and working on a computer is trickier.  I am seeing a neuro-opthalmologist in a few weeks.  I suspected that my eyes were just changing because of age--and that could be.  But it was the neurosurgeon, post-treatment, who asked about my eyesight and if anything had changed.  When he initiated the conversation, I told him about my weaker eyesight, and he referred me to the Ophthalmologist.

My tinnitus is off the charts.  While I have had pulsatile tinnitus for a year, I've also had tinnitus---the ringing/sounds in the ear.   I was at a "4" for a good while, but the past month I have been at an 8.  The other night, I actually woke up because of the ringing in my ears, the first time that had happened.  I suspect the GK has done its thing, my AN has swollen, and this is temporary.  Over the past year, every doctor I have spoken with says that tinnitus is quite common but there's little they can do about it (except masking/white noise).

I continue to experience some fatigue.  My doc explained that this is because the brain tissue works like a snake's skin.  As our cells die and reproduce, by this point I have regenerated new cells that are now being exposed to the radiation still in my system, and the new, unprotected cells are confronting the treatment which takes time and energy.    As I commute to work, I find in situations like being in a train station overwhelming.  While I have experienced some balance issues, they have been minor--until I have sensory overload.  The doc explained that this made sense to him.  He said that he is overwhelmed at Union Station, and he doesn't have a brain tumor.  He said because an AN is on the vestibular (balance) nerve, my entire vestibular system is impacted.  The sounds around me, the people moving in all directions, my moving forward while trying to stay upright, my need to get from Point A to Point B, it is all sensory overload to the vestibular system.  He said this is why spaces like restaurants can be overwhelming for people with ANs....because they're trying to listen to the conversation at their table while also being inundated with sounds, sights, and smells from all directions.  This made a lot of sense to me, and it was helpful to hear.  (His advice was to do what I could to minimize effects like wear noise-reducing headphones, stand on the periphery, and focus on a single target to avoid too many distractions.)

While the research isn't clear, I believe fully that my cognitive abilities are not what they were.  I have a more difficult time with retrieval and "go blank" far more often than a few months ago.  We all joke about "senior moments," but this doctor said he had done a full study on this and that over 50% of his patients indicated they had memory retrieval (usually short-term) effects.  They cannot explain this, but he said anecdotally, he hears this over and over so there must be something to it.

Finally, I wanted to write about my trigeminal (facial) nerve experiences.  This, by far, has been the most frightening thing for me, and it's why I write now.  Because other trendsetters have written about this elsewhere, I wanted to share my experience because it was less frightening because I had read about it previously.  Others have called it a "spasm," but I would not.  I call it my "Incredible Hulk" moment because it feels like an inner demon is inside of me trying to get out!

The first one happened just as I was getting out of bed, and the whole left side of my face started to tingle (my AN is on the left).  Then, my left eye started to twitch rapidly.  And finally, the entire left side of my face started to convulse and shrink into this perverse snapshot, and I lost all sensation on the left side of my face.   As it was happening, I didn't know what to do.  Resist it?  Let it happen naturally?  Try and un-contort half my face which was now paralyzed and completely drooping on the left?   Thankfully, in my head, I knew this was related to my treatment, and I didn't (completely) panic.   

After about 20...30...40 seconds, and my face was still paralyzed, I found myself asking, "Is this it?  Will my face stay like this?"  I thought of work (I couldn't go out in public), I thought of my spouse (who would be terrified), and I thought of this message board, thankful at your posts, your descriptions, your willingness to share your experience and so I didn't outright panic because I suspected this was temporary.

Then, as quickly as it happened, my face started to relax and re-position itself into "normal."

That was about 10 days ago, and I have had two repeat performances.  Each time, it was first thing in the morning--as if I was "at rest" during the night and while my "face comes alive" when I get up, it causes the reaction.  But they are all brief, and none are as frightening as the first time it happened.   Upon speaking with two separate doctors, they indicated the tumor is likely swollen, rubbing against the trigeminal nerve, and this will be temporary.  Stress, they say, can further induce them because of the swelling.  They have prescribed a steroid, but they indicated I would be trading one side effect for another and so I have opted not to take the steroids as of yet.

All of this is to highlight that our ANs are in the mix of vestibular, trigeminal, and acoustic nerves.  This is why I share each of my related symptoms because the AN is working with different nerves. 

Following GK treatment, the tumor can do one of three things:  stay the same, swell, or start to shrink.  I have my six-month MRI coming up quickly, and I'll report back.  I suspect that my tumor has swollen, causing the above, and that these effects are temporary.   

About hearing:  My hearing has diminished post-GK.  I was at about 95% before and believe I'm at about 60% now...but I also have a hearing test coming up.  I was told by my doc this week that I would likely still have "better hearing" if I hadn't had GK, but he also said there was no guarantee to that and the alternative is that the tumor could be bigger and the balance issues and etc. greater.   So each of us has to weigh the pros and the cons and ask ourselves what we can live with, if necessary.

I am embracing my super-hero powers, believing I am stronger for it.  I continue to repeat my mantra that some things in my life need to matter more while other things need to matter less.

For the people and support here, I am grateful, and I wish each of us the very best.

Peace,

Patrick

Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: GK Six Month Post-Treatment: My Incredible Hulk
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:33:23 pm »
Patrick ~

Thank you for that comprehensive and informative account of your Gamma Knife experience to date.

I'm sorry to learn of your complications post-GK but appreciate your honesty and attempt to help educate others who can utilize your experience. 

Your account verifies a point I've often mentioned to those AN patients weighing surgery or radiation and who sometimes mistakenly assume non-invasive radiation will be a easy journey with few problems.  As with some AN surgeries, sometimes it is...but sometimes it isn't.  That's why we call any AN procedure a risk. ...because it is.  No patient's outcome can be guaranteed.  I wish it could be...I would have loved that, but, as your experience proves, it is not reality.

Thanks again for your post and I hope your issues will soon be resolved.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robinb

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »
Hi Patrick-

I am so sorry to hear you had another spasm; yes, they are spasms for short although the word spasm does not seem to convey how terrifying and disruptive the experience is, albeit however brief.

What you so vividly convey in your description is so much more illustrative than I did in my post. When I had my first few and frantically tried to research over the weekend I had a few ANers that PM'd me back with their experience and the medical description:

What is Hemifacial Spasm?

Hemifacial spasm is a neuromuscular disorder characterized by frequent involuntary contractions (spasms) of the muscles on one side (hemi-) of the face (facial). The disorder occurs in both men and women, although it more frequently affects middle-aged or elderly women. It is much more common in the Asian population.  The first symptom is usually an intermittent twitching of the eyelid muscle that can lead to forced closure of the eye. The spasm may then gradually spread to involve the muscles of the lower face, which may cause the mouth to be pulled to one side. Eventually the spasms involve all of the muscles on one side of the face almost continuously. The condition may be caused by a facial nerve injury, or a tumor, or it may have no apparent cause. Rarely, doctors see individuals with spasm on both sides of the face.  Most often hemifacial spasm is caused by a blood vessel pressing on the facial nerve at the place where it exits the brainstem.

You can read more here:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/hemifacial_spasm/hemifacial_spasm.htm

and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemifacial_spasm

All I can hope for is that like me, this will be a temporary side effect. Since yours seem to be triggered upon waking; if possible, try to alter how you move when you arise. Mine were triggered while brushing my teeth, so I learned to relax my facial muscles while brushing and that helped a great deal.

The local neurologist I saw recently said that he would have prescribed gabapentin right off, rather than trying the steroid and then Valium as Dr. Lunsford did. So docs vary in their approach as you well know.

I still maintain that radiation is an easy journey with few problems, compared to the risks and permanent potential damage that accompany surgery. I would not hesitate to make the same decision.

You are in my thoughts; keep me posted on how it goes.

-Robin
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

mesafinn

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:09:27 pm »
Hi Robin and all,

Thank you for the links.  I do recall that what I've been experiencing (because YOU educated me) were called hemifacial spasms, but My Incredible Hulk moments sound so much more liberating.

Without trying to jinx myself, it's been one week since my last "episode."  I wake up and literally start "petting" my AN side, trying to awake that side of the face gently to bring the nerves to life.  For some reason, it's working, and I would rather pet than take the steroids!

I hope everyone is doing well and managing comfortably.  Stay strong!

P.

P.S.  For those reading, I concur with Robin....for many of us, radiation is a most appropriate choice.  Certainly not the only one, but I do not regret my decision whatsoever.  I hope I didn't suggest otherwise.

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:04:32 pm »
I find it funny that you are calling your AN the Incredible Hulk, when the actor that plays the Incredible Hulk has had an AN!
Maybe its the AN inside the Incredible Hulk that is making him transform, and that's triggering your problems.
 ;)
http://anausa.org/index.php/about-ana/mark-ruffalos-biography

http://vimeo.com/74713918

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

mesafinn

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
Paul,

You made me chuckle out loud.   I hadn't put that together, but you're right!  I'm a fan of Mark Ruffalo...but wasn't thinking of his movie role.  Perhaps subconsciously......!

Thanks for the smile.

P.

Echo

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:14 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for posting your experience in so much detail.  For me following behind you, it provides a pretty concise idea of what may or may not happen down the road.  I'm just over 3 weeks post Gamma and am feeling pretty good.  I was having some facial tremors a few months pre treatment and then they vanished about a month prior to treatment day.  While I hope I do not experience any facial spasms, I won't be surprised if I do.  They sound pretty miserable, but it's encouraging to know there is help for them if required.   

I hope things improve soon for you! 
Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

mesafinn

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:15 pm »
Hello All:

An update on my progress as I've gotten the results of my six-month post GK from an MRI and hearing tests. 

If you have read from the beginning of this thread, you will see that I have recently been experiencing hemifacial spasms.  The spasms continue at about one per week (for about a month now).  Stress certainly induces them.   They are manageable but nonetheless frustrating.  Still, they are irregular and now a part of my AN experience.  My pulsatile tinnitus continues in both ears now as well as my high-pitched tinnitus in my AN ear.

As for the doctor's report, he writes, "MRI shows a loss of central contrast which is typical for six months after undergoing GK.  The tumor volume is approximately the same.  The loss of central contrast in the tumor on MRI often predicts subsequent shrinkage of the tumor."    By and large, this seems positive but for those of you with more experience on "the language," I welcome your translation.   I take it the tumor has swollen but the GK appears to have done its thing and I should see shrinkage over the next year.  However, I had hoped for the word "necrosis" in my report, but it was not there.  Experts?!

I have lost about 30% hearing in my AN ear, particularly high pitches.  My speech discrimination, however, remains the same as before treatment.  This pleased the neurosurgeon who did the GK treatment.  The high-pitched tinnitus I suffer from is a reaction to losing those frequencies and the brain is attempting to compensate.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Peace,

Patrick

robinb

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 03:29:22 pm »
Hi Patrick-

Been thinking of you...

I think in my unprofessional opinion that's uneventful but good news on your MRI. Is this the radiologist report or Dr. Lunsfords?

Hopefully your spasms will continue to decrease in frequency and then be a thing of the past.
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

mesafinn

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 06:18:16 pm »
Hi Robin:  This is the word from Dr. Lunsford himself.  I'm hoping that in no time I'll be off for an eyebrow wax and facial and be spasm free....!   ::)    Hope you are great, great, great.    P.

Echo

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Sounds like things are progressing as they should with regards to the MRI report.  Can't believe it's been 6 months already.  I've been hoping you would post good news.  Time for those facial spasms to take a hike!!!  It would be even better if your tinnitus would disappear, but that seems to be the one thing that hangs around and never wants to leave.  Mine is still humming away in the background and I'm grateful it has not gotten worse since my Gamma treatment. 

When you get around to booking your eyebrow wax and facial, go all the way and book yourself a massage! There's some pretty cool spas out your way! ;D

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

robinb

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »
Well, since I was starting new job today, yesterday I treated myself to a massage and then I went to one of those places that specialize in wash/blow dry hair. I could get used to that!
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford