Author Topic: sound sensitivities getting worse  (Read 3143 times)

thedales7

sound sensitivities getting worse
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »
Hi everyone. ?... I have a 3mm intracochlear neuroma.  So many things about it is difficult but at the top of my list right now is sound sensitivity.  I wake up feeling pretty good and until my twin girls get home from school I cope pretty well.  Once they get home (and they are just doing their normal things) every noise is amplified, my tinnitus starts ROARING , beeping and chirping. ?. Next comes a headache and I want to cry.  I've learned to go to my room and give my brain a break and it helps some but it seems to be triggered easier and easier..... Any suggestions? I feel horrible shooshing my kids constantly!  I really do want hear them and have them want to talk to me!
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
60% low and mid frequency hearing loss
Watch and wait

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: sound sensitivities getting worse
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:53 pm »
Dear thedales7,

Give yourself a gift of some noise cancelling headphones and get some quite time from the twins.        Remember to give them a way to contact you in an emergency, such as flashing a light switch in a darkened room. That may help a bit!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »
Have you tried the little foam earplugs to cut down the volume? you can vary the degree to which you insert them to hear more or less...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »
I agree with Jeanne.  The foam ear plugs I use I can still hear with them in but they do deaden the sounds.  If I have to I can still have a conversation with them in.  Give them a try.  However, my ENT said he did not like those because they "dry" out your ears.
Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

thedales7

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »
Thank you so much much for the earplug suggestion. I was just using them when things started acting up but for a month I have been having to wear them 24/7. It has helped tremendously but again I'm having issues with my own voice...I have resorted to speaking very softly which is not very effective with 5 and 8 yr old boys, one of which is ADHD and has Oppositional Defiant Disorder...I have an mri being scheduled as I now have facial numbness... I really feel like I want this thing out.. It is wreaking havoc!!!
3mm? (I was in such shock i can't remember! )intracochlear AN/ intralabyrintnine schwannoma right ear
Watch and wait

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:56:17 pm »
Try talking to your doctor or audiologist about this.  I think there are all sorts of "ear plug" solutions out there now ranging from the inexpensive foam ones on up to custom made plugs to deal with your problem.  Good luck.  I know before I had CK and for about a year afterward everything sounded so loud to me I wanted to scream!  I still use the foam plugs daily but only under certain circumstances ie: when I go to the gym; use the vacuum; even at church when the organ is played.  Good luck.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

thedales7

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:23:19 am »
Thank you Karen!! I will do that!!
Watch and wait