Author Topic: Prednisone for my balance issues for my 3.5mm Vestibular schwannoma  (Read 6913 times)

Gearbox123

Hi , How is everyone feeling tonight ? Hope all is well with everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had some success with using 10mg of Prednisone for balance issues while on Watch and Wait, my E.N.T just gave me a Rx for it . I  generally have some headaches , earpain, and alot of fullness that never goes away , but the worst thing is my balance, for such a small tumor , I walk like I am drunk most days , my tumor is too small for surgery, and I am starting to consider S.S.I.D  because of my line of work , by the end of a hard days work  I am just shot. I don't like taking medication, but lately I am forced too due to lack of exercise and just getting older, I am worried about any side effects and curious if it has helped any A.N patients, Thanks for any help.

macdonalddobies

Re: Prednisone for my balance issues for my 3.5mm Vestibular schwannoma
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »
I'm glad to see someone else with a smaller tumor is having balance issues. Well, not glad you are going through this, just glad someone can relate. I was starting to think I was going crazy. Mine currently is 3mm. I am feeling dizzy constantly and having a hard time with motions of laying up and down, bending over, etc.  I also suffer from anxiety, so I didn't know if I was making this worse myself. I feel a lot of tightness and pressure in my head too. My doctor did not give me any kind of meds for the dizziness, he said we will just monitor it and do physical therapy for balance.

Do you get a lot of issues with your eyes from the dizziness too? I feel like no one has one of these, and there is no one to talk to about it. In my mind, i keep feeling dizzier, so I am thinking that this thing is growing. Since it is so small, they cant really tell much about it, meaning if it is cystic and fast growing. How long have you had you AN?
3mm AN in Internal Auditory Canal
-dizziness
-visual issues
-slight high frequency hearing loss
Currently in W&W

Gearbox123

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:54:04 pm »
Hi welcome aboard. I don't feel like I am dizzy, but that is what a lot of people feel like with small AN's. My problems started about almost 2yrs ago and it took a few Doctors before they found this little sucker. I feel like I just got off a fishing boat. My next MRI is in a few weeks around the 1st of the year, they found mine early May 2012  but had balance issues for about 6months, I had another scan Early 2013, it grew a whole 0.5mm , so now it's 3.5mm, they grow about 1-2mm a year so I am told. I have had a lot of problem with this little one, and that's what the Doctors pretty much say, oh that's a small tumor, but it's not in such a great spot, it's on my vestibular nerve, so it makes sense to me , but not to all the Doctors I been too will agree about that. I went to Vestibular Therapy and  it did help somewhat, but you have to do alot of it. What it is doing is trying it get the other side of the brain or to retrain your brain  that what they told me, which is hard because the tumor is messing up the signal. I tried and still do some of the exercises, but it's still hard for me at least. I would say try it , it can't hurt and maybe you have better luck. I got some insight from my support group about the vestibular system , and it's worth looking into for yourself. I have had a gait issue from a childhood accident and walk with a limp for about 30 years now so I think that this issue doesn't help having a small tumor on my vestibular nerve, so I am not sure vestibular Therapy is going to work for me. As far as the eye issue , I know I get a twitch every so often, like a flutter, but it goes away never stays that long. You should get your eyes checked , your eyes are also a part of the vestibular system . Also check any medication that may say causes dizziness, that could also be a factor for you, and check with your doctor about that. Don't feel alone and you are not crazy, in fact some Dr's might think some of this stuff is in your head , they do not have the tumor, and just look at there text books, not all of these tumors are the same and none are in the same spot , everyone has a different problem with them. I will say some prayers for you , and feel free to chat with me hopefully I have been of some help to you , I wish you all the luck!

macdonalddobies

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:15 am »
Thanks, I appreciate your insight. This forum has been really helpful to understand what others are going through. Sadly, there are no close support groups in my area, so I am on here. Apparently Northern Virginian's aren't dealing with this issue :)
3mm AN in Internal Auditory Canal
-dizziness
-visual issues
-slight high frequency hearing loss
Currently in W&W

Gearbox123

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
Hi, Well you have us here now, and feel free to chat anytime, I hope you feel better, try to stay postive, , my thoughts and prayers are with you, best of luck!

WiscWahe

• Wait and watch ...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »
I have earring loss, tinnitus and fullness in one ear and a 3mm AN in the other. I have been on 10 mg of pred for just over just week a week and it has helped a bit.  I do not have a a lot of noticeable balance issues.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.
---------------------------------------
3mm AN Growth Detected May 2013
No growth as of Nov 2013
Significant hearing loss in Non-AN Ear
W&W bit considering Middle Fossa

Gearbox123

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:55:36 pm »
Hi ,Thanks for the reply, I will keep you posted , good luck to you and be well! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!