Author Topic: One Year Post-Op  (Read 2554 times)

Jeanlea

One Year Post-Op
« on: September 07, 2006, 07:36:33 pm »
Yesterday was my one year anniversary of my surgery.  I feel so much better than I did one year ago.  At the time I felt like it would take forever to get better.  My face was totally paralyzed on the left side and felt very strange.  It also had no feeling.  I had a gold weight put in my eye one week after surgery while I was still in the hospital.  It wasn't even anything I could make a decision about.  I don't recall being too with it that week.  I also had left-side weakness. 

When I finally came home from the hospital after 8 days I had to have a lot of help.  I'd have to wait in the car until someone came around to help me out and then walk with me.  Initially my family wouldn't allow me to walk up or down the stairs without one of them watching.  I had to be taken for walks, wearing a belt no less in case I fell!  I also felt like I was half blind because of all the ointment I had to keep in my eye.

Things are so much better now.  I can not only walk by myself, I can even run.  Since my surgery I've been driving, walking, running, hiking rough trails, kayaking, and boating.  I even crawled out on the roof this summer to clean out the gutters!  My left side is no longer weak.  Although I still have facial paralysis and numbness I have regained a tiny bit of movement.  It also doesn't feel so strange to me anymore.  I've sort of become accustomed to it.  (That doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to get my movement and feeling back.  I pray for it daily.)  I am able to work.  I went back October 31.  I don't get overly tired. 

I've adjusted to my "new normal."  (I saw this  in the New York Times today.  Outside of New York, however, Americans seem to have adjusted to a “new normal,â€? two Times/CBS News polls suggest.) 

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  It's just a long, winding tunnel.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: One Year Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 09:36:35 pm »
Dear Jeanlea,

I am so glad you are doing so well at the one year mark.  I read your thread about doing the run/walk. It must have really made you feel like, as you said, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I actually tried to ride a bike last weekend without falling off.  Mountain bike riding was one of my regular activities and last year I could not even attempt it. I made it across the parking lot, and of course it was my daughters bike (much lower to the ground) but I did do it. As long as I didn;t turn my head. it gave me hope that someday I can ride my bike again. I think my love for downhill skiing is still out for a long time though. I am approaching my 2 yr aniversary on Sept 29th. maybe I'll try the bike again that day to celebrate.

Your an inspiration.
Thanks
patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jeanlea

Re: One Year Post-Op
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:00:06 pm »
Good luck on the bike, Patti.  Let us know how it goes.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD