Author Topic: Three months Post OP.  (Read 3045 times)

Danny2006

Three months Post OP.
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:52:37 am »
It has been three months since I had my middle fossa at HEI. For those who don’t know, my neuroma turned out to be a facial nerve neruoma instead of an acoustic neuroma. It was relatively small, only 1cmX8mm. I have improved some, and am sure I will improve more. I have always been the type of person who is always on the move, always trying to get things done. Now I get a little upset because I can’t do as much as I did before. I am still dizzy, and my eye doesn’t tear, or close completely. It will close about 3/4 of the way, but it dries our very quickly. I wear a patch to keep moisture in as much as possible; it is a standard black patch. I wear a black one because the sun or bright lights hurt my eye. I was hit by mortar shrapnel in Iraq in 05, so the sensitivity has nothing to do with neuroma... my face moves around 30-40 percent, so it is not really noticeable unless I smile or something such, and when i blink, the left eye only closes 3/4 way, but with the patch on no one really sees it. I still have tinnitus, don’t think it will go away, I heard there was a med. that may help reduce that....If any one knows the name of that med, please let me know. Every day I have headaches. I wake every morning with a # 6-9 headache, and with perocette, or something such, it is not a good way to start the day. If anyone has had headaches for this long after surgery or longer I would like to hear about it.
Well this post is getting a little long, so I will go for now. Thanks everyone for listing to my situation, hope I didn’t bore anyone,
Thanks Danny

PS Lana, if you read this, please email me, or call. I lost your # and would like to know how you are.....
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Re: Three months Post OP.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:49:01 am »
Danny,
I was lucky and didn't get the headaches and it was a big fear for me before the operation. I truely feel for you. We can only hope and pray they go away over time. I just purchased a black patch for my eye yesterday. It seems to help while I watch TV. When I go to bed, I have my wife apply the eye ointment and she then tapes the eye lid closed. After that she tapes a piece of Saran Wrap over it to keep in the moisture. It's not a pretty site, but I think it helps. I have not returned to work yet, so I'm not sure what I'll do about the eye problem then.
Thanks for your help in Iraq...
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 10:11:51 am »
Danny,

I am sorry to hear you are having the dreaded post op AN headaches. I am 2 yrs post op and suffer terribly with headaches. captain Deb has gone through alot getting help for her headaches. Look up on page 2 of the Post op section there are a couple of tjhreads on headaches.  Unfortunately, some of us continue to get them long after surgery. I wish you well
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Obita

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 05:53:48 am »
Danny:

I am so sorry to hear you are having the post op headaches and eye issues.  And on top of the AN junk, a sensitivity to light because of your Iraq experience..........you are my HERO.

I was on the Saturday Night Call last night.  I think there were at least 8 of us.  I got off the phone and my tinnitus was the loudest it has ever been.  There are some tinnitus threads back a few days.  Some of us are trying Vitamin B 50 to see if we see any improvement.  I am not expecting to but wanted to give it a shot.

Hopefully with time and healing you will see some relief - my best to you,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:52:37 pm »
Danny, be very carefull with the percs--can cause more headaches than they cure due to "analgesic rebound."!! Google that'n!  Also HIGHLY addictive. Ask Rush Limbaugh! The VA passed them out like candy to my Vietnam Vet brother for 3 years and he ended up with a really bad addiciton to them.

Your surgeon needs to know about these headaches-they can be a sign of a CSF leak, too. I had another MRI at 1 year looking for one after mine were still hanging around.

If he's just passing out painkillers and not trying some preventatives, he is doing you a disservice.    I sought help at a headache clinic cuz mine were still whacking me silly after 3 years.  I am so much better.  Injectable Imitrex is my wonder drug.  At 2 months post-op, I was actually better, headache-wise, than at a year post-op. Keep us posted.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW